Dumbo (2019 film)
Dumbo is an upcoming American fantasy adventure film directed by Tim Burton, with a screenplay written by Ehren Kruger. It is based upon a storyline written by Helen Aberson and is largely inspired by Walt Disney's 1941 animated film of the same name. The film stars Colin Farrell, Eva Green, Michael Keaton, Danny DeVito and Alan Arkin. The film will be released on March 29, 2019.
|Directed by||Tim Burton|
|Screenplay by||Ehren Kruger|
|Based on||Disney's Dumbo
by Otto Englander
|Music by||Danny Elfman|
|Edited by||Chris Lebenzon|
|Distributed by||Walt Disney Studios
Holt, a former circus star, finds his life turned upside down when he returns from the war. Circus owner Max Medici enlists him to care for a newborn elephant whose oversized ears make him a laughingstock in an already struggling circus. But when Holt's children discover that Dumbo can fly, persuasive entrepreneur V. A. Vandemere and aerial artist Colette Marchant swoop in to make the peculiar pachyderm a star.
- Colin Farrell as Holt Farrier, a war veteran and former circus star from Kentucky who finds his life turned upside down when he returns from the war. He is hired by Medici to care for the newborn elephant, whom his two children befriend.
- Eva Green as Colette Marchant, a French trapeze artist who performs at the circus.
- Michael Keaton as V. A. Vandemere, a ruthless and enigmatic entrepreneur who acquires a circus to exploit the title elephant.
- Danny DeVito as Max Medici, the circus owner who runs a small circus that gets acquired by Vandemere.
- Alan Arkin as J. Griffin Remington, a Wall Street tycoon.
- Nico Parker as Holt's daughter
- Finley Hobbins as Holt's son
- DeObia Oparei as Rongo
- Joseph Gatt as Neils Skellig
On July 8, 2014, it was announced that a live-action adaptation of Dumbo was in development for Walt Disney Pictures. Ehren Kruger was confirmed as the screenwriter, and Justin Springer will serve as the producer along with Kruger. On March 10, 2015, Tim Burton was announced as the director. On July 15, 2017, Disney announced that Dumbo would be released on March 29, 2019.
In January 2017, it was announced that Will Smith was "in talks" to play the father of the children who develop a friendship with the lovable elephant after seeing him at the circus. However, Smith later passed on the role due to "scheduling conflicts" among other reasons. Chris Pine and Casey Affleck were also offered the role but passed on it before Colin Farrell was cast.
In March 2017, Eva Green and Danny DeVito joined the cast. In April 2017, Michael Keaton joined the cast, rounding out the few prominent "adult" live-action roles. Tom Hanks was reportedly in discussions for the role before Keaton was cast. During the summer of 2017, DeObia Oparei, Joseph Gatt, and Alan Arkin joined the film.
- "Danny Elfman to Score Tim Burton’s ‘Dumbo’". Film Music Reporter. October 4, 2017. Retrieved October 4, 2017.
- Lodderhose, Diana (March 7, 2017). "Eva Green In Talks For Tim Burton’s ‘Dumbo’ At Disney". Deadline. Retrieved March 9, 2017.
- Ramos, Dino-Ray (August 7, 2017). "Tim Burton’s ‘Dumbo’ Adds Joseph Gatt To Live-Action Adaptation Of Disney Classic". Deadline.com. Retrieved August 7, 2017.
- Kroll, Justin (March 24, 2017). "Colin Farrell in Talks to Star in Tim Burton’s ‘Dumbo’". Variety. Retrieved June 17, 2017.
- Anderton, Ethan (March 24, 2017). "Colin Farrell May See An Elephant Fly in Dumbo". SlashNews. Retrieved June 17, 2017.
- Pressberg, Matt (April 4, 2017). "Michael Keaton in Talks to Play Villain in Live-Action ‘Dumbo’ Remake". TheWrap. Retrieved June 17, 2017.
- Busch, Anita (March 9, 2017). "Danny DeVito Negotiating To Join Tim Burton’s ‘Dumbo’ At Disney". Deadline. Retrieved June 17, 2017.
- Alan Arkin Joins Tim Burton’s Live-Action ‘Dumbo’ (EXCLUSIVE)
- Ramos, Dino-Ray (July 26, 2017). "Tim Burton’s Live-Action ‘Dumbo’ Adds ‘Game Of Thrones’ Actor DeObia Oparei". Deadline.com. Retrieved August 2, 2017.
- Kits, Borys (July 8, 2014). "Live-Action 'Dumbo' in the Works From 'Transformers' Writer". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 23, 2014.
- Ford, Rebecca (March 10, 2015). "Tim Burton to Direct Live-Action 'Dumbo' for Disney". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- Max Evry. "Production Begins on Tim Burton’s Live-Action Dumbo!". Comingsoon.net. Retrieved 16 July 2017.
- Kroll, Justin (January 11, 2017). "Will Smith Circling Tim Burton’s Live-Action ‘Dumbo’ Adaptation". Variety. Retrieved June 17, 2017.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (February 10, 2017). "'Dumbo’ A No-Go For Will Smith". Deadline. Retrieved June 17, 2017.
- Lodderhose, Diana (March 7, 2017). "Eva Green In Talks For Tim Burton’s ‘Dumbo’ At Disney". Deadline. Retrieved June 17, 2017.
- Giardina, Carolyn; McMillan, Graeme (July 13, 2017). "Will 'Avengers,' 'Frozen 2' and 'Star Wars' Dazzle at D23?". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 13, 2017.