Duel with Death (German: Duell mit dem Tod) is a 1949 Austrian war drama film directed by Paul May and starring Rolf von Nauckhoff, Annelies Reinhold, and Fritz Hinz-Fabricius. The film portrays the Austrian resistance to Nazi Germany during the Second World War.
|Duel with Death|
|Directed by||Paul May|
|Written by||Paul May |
Georg Wilhelm Pabst
|Produced by||Georg Wilhelm Pabst|
|Starring||Rolf von Nauckhoff |
|Music by||Alfred Schneider|
|Distributed by||Union Film|
|20 July 1949|
The film's sets were designed by the art director Otto Pischinger.
It premiered at the Locarno Film Festival in July 1949 before going on general release in Austria that December.
A Professor is brought before an Allied military court to explain apparently incriminating evidence against him. This gives him a chance to recount what really happened during the war years.
- Rolf von Nauckhoff as Dr. Ernst Romberg
- Annelies Reinhold as Maria Romberg
- Fritz Hinz-Fabricius as Pfarrer Menhardt
- Hans Dreßler as Defense lawyer Dr. Hallmann
- Louis V. Arco as Gerichtsvorsitzender
- Ernst Waldbrunn as Franz Lang
- Maria Eis as Frau Lang
- Erich Auer as Geisler
- Martin King as Ziegler
- Manfred Schuster as Beierle
- Hannes Schiel as Rainer, Standartenführer der SS
- Josef Krastel as Kaindl
- Emmerich Schrenk as Dietz, Sturmführer der SS
- Otto Schmöle as Präsident des deutschen Feldkriegsgerichts
- Ulrich Bettac
- Erich Dörner
- Heinz Moog
- ^ Fritsche p.49
- Fritsche, Maria. Homemade Men in Postwar Austrian Cinema: Nationhood, Genre and Masculinity. Berghahn Books, 2013.