Dudley Maurice Newitt
Dudley Maurice Newitt FRS (28 April 1894 – 14 March 1980) was a British chemical engineer who was awarded the Rumford Medal in 1962 'In recognition of his distinguished contributions to chemical engineering'.
He married Aliex Schaeffer in 1919, but she died in childbirth in 1923, and the baby was stillborn. In 1933 he married Doris Garrod, and they had a son and a daughter.
In 1921 he gained a first class Bachelor of Science in chemistry from the Royal College of Science in London, and went on to postgraduate studies in chemical engineering at Imperial College, London. During the Second World War he was scientific director of Special Operations Executive responsible for the development of technology for sabotage and espionage. During this period he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society.
In 1945 he was appointed professor of chemical engineering at Imperial College, and in 1952 head of department, being responsible for the new building (completed 1967). He was appointed Pro-Rector of the College in 1956 until his retirement in 1961. He died 14 March 1980 in Farnham, Surrey.
- Ubbelohde, Alfred R. (1981). "Dudley Maurice Newitt. 28 April 1894 – 14 March 1980". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. 27: 365. doi:10.1098/rsbm.1981.0015. JSTOR 769877.
- "Rumford archive winners 1988 - 1900". The Royal Society. Retrieved 2009-01-25.
- A. R. Ubbelohde (2004). "Newitt, Dudley Maurice (1894–1980)". The Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/31493.
- Biography of Professor Dudley Maurice Newitt, written by Professor Malyn Newitt. Available in three volumes:
- India, Mesopotania, Paestine (1894 - 1919)
- Marriage, The Royal Society and SOE. The Making of 'Q'. (1919 -1945)
- The Scientist in the Public Domain. Imperial College, The Roving Ambassador for Science and Retirement. (1945 - 1980)
- "National Portrait Gallery - Person - Dudley Maurice Newitt". National Portrait Gallery. Retrieved 2009-01-25.
- "Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society". JSTOR 769877.