Dudley East (UK Parliament constituency)
Dudley East was a parliamentary constituency, centred on the town of Dudley in the West Midlands. It returned one Member of Parliament to the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom by the first past the post system.
|Former Borough constituency|
for the House of Commons
|Number of members||One|
|Replaced by||Dudley North|
|Created from||Brierley Hill|
1974-1983: The County Borough of Dudley wards of Castle, Coseley East, Coseley West, Netherton and Woodside, Priory, St Andrew's, St James's, and St Thomas's.
1983-1997: The Metropolitan Borough of Dudley wards of Castle and Priory, Coseley East, Coseley West, Netherton and Woodside, Quarry Bank and Cradley, St Andrew's, St James's, and St Thomas's.
Dudley East was one of three constituencies in the Metropolitan Borough of Dudley, covering as its name suggested the eastern part of the town of Dudley, including the town centre, along with Coseley and parts of Sedgley. At abolition in 1997, both Dudley East and Dudley West were replaced by two new constituencies: Dudley North and Dudley South, with some constituents being transferred to the re-created Stourbridge constituency.
Members of ParliamentEdit
|Feb 1974||John Gilbert||Labour|
|1997||constituency abolished: see Dudley North, Dudley South and Stourbridge|
Elections in the 1990sEdit
|Liberal Democrat||IC Jenkins||5,400||9.6||-5.1|
|National Front||GE Cartwright||675||1.2||+1.2|
Elections in the 1980sEdit
|Social Democratic||Kevin Monks||7,965||14.65||-4.61|
|Social Democratic||Dominic Simon||10,272||19.26||+9.8|
Elections in the 1970sEdit
|Conservative||William Donald Williams||14,834||35.46||+7.73|
|Liberal||Gerald Patrick Thomas Lewis||3,639||8.70||-3.44|
|National Front||Albert James Baker||844||2.02||-0.82|
|Liberal||Owen Glyn Hopkins||5,003||12.14||N/A|
|National Front||Charles Rex Knott||1,171||2.84||N/A|
|Labour win (new seat)|
Notes and referencesEdit
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "D" (part 3)
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Archived from the original on 24 July 2011. Retrieved 6 Dec 2010.
- "'Dudley East', June 1983 up to May 1997". ElectionWeb Project. Cognitive Computing Limited. Archived from the original on 5 March 2016. Retrieved 4 March 2016.
- "'Dudley East', Feb 1974 - May 1983". ElectionWeb Project. Cognitive Computing Limited. Archived from the original on 1 April 2016. Retrieved 4 March 2016.
- "UK General Election results May 1979". Politics Resources. Archived from the original on 24 September 2015. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "UK General Election results October 1974". Politics Resources. Archived from the original on 20 August 2017. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "UK General Election results February 1974". Politics Resources. Archived from the original on 20 August 2017. Retrieved 21 March 2016.