Dublin Philharmonic Orchestra
The Dublin Philharmonic Orchestra (DPO) is an orchestra based in Dublin, Ireland. It was founded in 1997 and operates under the auspices of the Dublin Philharmonic Orchestra Association, a corporation limited by guarantee  and Irish charity, The former Dublin Philharmonic Orchestra was active from the 18th century to the 1930s. The famous violinist, conductor and impresario Pierre Van Maldere conducting from 1751. The present music director and conductor is Derek Gleeson.
|The Dublin Philharmonic Orchestra (DPO)|
Dublin Philharmonic Orchestra
|Principal conductor||Derek Gleeson|
The new Dublin Philharmonic Orchestra gave its premier concert during the 1997 Kilkenny Arts Festival at the 13th century Norman cathedral, "St. Canices", in the ancient city of Kilkenny. In addition to performing a repertoire of standard classical masterworks, the orchestra gives a voice to Ireland's contemporary composers. The orchestra has recorded classical and contemporary repertoire for commercial record companies, including Albany Records (U.S.A.), BMG/Windham Hill Records, and in 2006 was featured on the Contemporary Music Centre of Ireland's "Contemporary Music from Ireland, Volume Six" CD in a recording of Baginbun 1170 by the composer Vincent Kennedy. Additionally, the orchestra has recorded film scores for motion pictures and television.
In 2009, it undertook its inaugural tour of the United States of America with 49-concert dates across 24 states, under the auspices of Columbia Artists Management Inc., In 2010 it toured China, performing at the official Shanghai Grand Theatre World Expo 2010 program. It also opened the Beijing Summer Festival, Roam about the Classics, with concerts broadcast from the National Centre for the Performing Arts at the Opera House,(NCPA) Beijing, on TV, Radio and the Internet to over 400 million people.
The Hong Kong-based, Phoenix Television Station, made a documentary about the Orchestra's China Tour of 2010.
In 2010, the DPO teamed up with Samuel L. Jackson, the Samuel Jackson Foundation and Dionne Warwick in presenting a gala fundraising event for Irish Autism Action at the O'Reilly Hall at University College Dublin.
In January 2016 the Dublin Philharmonic made its second tour of China.
Composition and membershipEdit
The DPO is an International Orchestra drawing its orchestral players principally from the RTE National Symphony Orchestra (the orchestra of the Irish national radio network), the Irish Chamber Orchestra, Camerata Ireland, the Ulster Orchestra, the RTE Concert Orchestra, as well as select players from the pool of Dublin-based freelance musicians. The musicians pursue parallel careers as international soloists, members of eminent chamber groups, and as tutors and professors of music. Its Founder, Music Director and Conductor is Derek Gleeson.
- Dublin Philharmonic Orchestra Association Limited – Irish Company Info – Solocheck. Solocheck.ie. Retrieved on 2011-06-12.
- List of registered charities, June 2011 Archived 2012-06-01 at the Wayback Machine. Revenue.ie. Retrieved on 2011-06-12.
- David Mason Greene (25 September 2007). Greene's biographical encyclopedia of composers. Reproducing Piano Roll Fnd. pp. 335–. ISBN 978-0-385-14278-6. Retrieved 12 June 2011.
- https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~levenston/WC_TOC.HTM Archived March 17, 2016, at the Wayback Machine
- The Dublin Philharmonic Orchestra. Dublinphilharmonic.com. Retrieved on 2011-06-12.
- Articles [Contemporary Music from Ireland, Volume Six] / CMC. Cmc.ie. Retrieved on 2011-06-12.
- UNL | News Release | Dublin Philharmonic brings 'Irish Spectacular' to Lied Center March 3. Newsroom.unl.edu. Retrieved on 2011-06-12.
- > Dublin Philharmonic Orchestra Archived September 12, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. Celtic Entertainments. Retrieved on 2011-06-12.
- Amazon list. Amazon.com. Retrieved on 2011-06-12.
- US Tour 2009: Women Of Ireland, Dublin Philharmonic Orchestra, Dublin Gospel Choir: Music. Amazon.com (2009-09-09). Retrieved on 2011-06-12.
- An interview with Vincent Kennedy. Cmc.ie (2007-11-15). Retrieved on 2011-06-12.
- IW Film website Archived November 27, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. Iwfilm.com. Retrieved on 2011-06-12.
- Ticketmaster – Promotions. Ticketmaster.ie (2008-08-04). Retrieved on 2011-06-12.
- Irish Press Releases » Dublin Philharmonic Orchestra A Hit In U.S Archived August 9, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. Irishpressreleases.ie. Retrieved on 2011-06-12.
- Dublin Philharmonic Orchestra 2009 US National Tour. Irelanduscouncil.com. Retrieved on 2011-06-12.
- Hogan, Louise (2010-06-28). "Irish musicians to be 'ambassadors' on China trip". Irish Independent.
- The Irish Spectacular! – 2010 Dublin Philharmonic Shanghai Concert – Shanghai Grand Theatre – Lyric Theatre – Tickets Booking Online – Shanghai Cultural Information – Find Your Favorite Ticket Archived August 13, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. Ccm.culture.sh.cn. Retrieved on 2011-06-12.
- roam about the classics,dublin philharmonic orchestra concert,ncpa,ticket online,ncpa opera house,beijing event,ticket,tickets Archived 2012-03-12 at the Wayback Machine. En.piao.com.cn. Retrieved on 2011-06-12.
- APA Management. Apa-music.com. Retrieved on 2011-06-12.
- The Dublin Philharmonic Orchestra Tours China In July 2010. Ireland.broadwayworld.com. Retrieved on 2011-06-12.
- Total management announcement Archived September 18, 2010, at the Wayback Machine. Total-management.co.uk. Retrieved on 2011-06-12.
- Biography | Derek Gleeson | William Reinert Associates. Williamreinert.com. Retrieved on 2011-06-12.
- Mary Kaptein management | |. Marykaptein.com. Retrieved on 2011-06-12.
- Music Director – Dublin Philharmonic Orchestra. Derek Gleeson. Retrieved on 2011-06-12.
- The Irish Chamber Ensemble Homepage