Duanne Olivier (born 9 May 1992) is a South African cricketer who plays for Yorkshire in England. Previously, he played for the South Africa cricket team and for the Knights cricket team in domestic fixtures. He is a right-arm fast-medium bowler.
|Full name||Duanne Olivier|
|Born||9 May 1992|
Pretoria, South Africa
|Test debut (cap 329)||12 January 2017 v Sri Lanka|
|Last Test||21 February 2019 v Sri Lanka|
|ODI debut (cap 130)||19 January 2019 v Pakistan|
|Last ODI||22 January 2019 v Pakistan|
|Domestic team information|
Source: Cricinfo, 10 September 2020
In February 2019, he signed a Kolpak deal to play for Yorkshire County Cricket Club in England, which means he cannot play for South Africa during the length of his contract with Yorkshire. After signing his Kolpak deal, Olivier expressed his hopes to one day to play for the England cricket team.
Domestic and franchise careerEdit
He was the leading wicket-taker in the 2016–17 Sunfoil Series, with 52 dismissals. In May 2017, he was named First-class Cricketer of the Season at Cricket South Africa's annual awards. In August 2017, he was named in Jo'burg Giants' squad for the first season of the T20 Global League. However, in October 2017, Cricket South Africa initially postponed the tournament until November 2018, with it being cancelled soon after.
In October 2018, he was named in Jozi Stars' squad for the first edition of the Mzansi Super League T20 tournament. He was the leading wicket-taker for Knights in the 2018–19 CSA 4-Day Franchise Series, with 27 dismissals in six matches.
In September 2019, he was named in the squad for the Jozi Stars team for the 2019 Mzansi Super League tournament. In October 2020, he was drafted by the Jaffna Stallions for the inaugural edition of the Lanka Premier League. In April 2021, he was named in Gauteng's squad, ahead of the 2021–22 cricket season in South Africa.
In January 2017, Olivier was added to South Africa's Test squad ahead of the third Test against Sri Lanka. He replaced Kyle Abbott, who earlier had quit international cricket to sign for the English team Hampshire as a Kolpak player.
He made his Test debut for South Africa against Sri Lanka on 12 January 2017. In December 2018, in the first innings of South Africa's Boxing Day Test at Centurion Park in Centurion, Olivier took his first five-wicket haul in Tests, against Pakistan. He went on to take another five-wicket haul in the second innings of the match. He finished with 24 wickets across the three Tests of the tour and was named the player of the series. After the Test series, he was then added to South Africa's squad for the first two One Day Internationals (ODIs) against Pakistan. He made his ODI debut for South Africa against Pakistan on 19 January 2019.
- "Duanne Olivier Faces Our Quickfire Questions". Gunn & Moore on YouTube. 22 September 2017.
- "Duanne Olivier". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 5 November 2015.
- "Duanne Olivier to quit South Africa after signing Kolpak deal with Yorkshire". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 26 February 2019.
- "Duanne Olivier signs for Yorkshire CCC". Cricket World. Retrieved 26 February 2019.
- "The Kolpak rule explained". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 27 February 2019.
- "Hope to play Test cricket for England - Olivier". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 20 March 2019.
- "Ten players we wish we had seen more of in internationals". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 2 July 2020.
- "Records: Sunfoil Series, 2016/17: Most wickets". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 11 February 2017.
- "De Kock dominates South Africa's awards". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 14 May 2017.
- "T20 Global League announces final team squads". T20 Global League. Archived from the original on 5 September 2017. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- "Cricket South Africa postpones Global T20 league". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 10 October 2017.
- "Mzansi Super League - full squad lists". Sport24. Retrieved 17 October 2018.
- "Mzansi Super League Player Draft: The story so far". Independent Online. Retrieved 17 October 2018.
- "4-Day Franchise Series, 2018/19 - Knights: Batting and bowling averages". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
- "Waite high five is highlight for Yorkshire against students". York Press. Retrieved 1 April 2019.
- "MSL 2.0 announces its T20 squads". Cricket South Africa. Retrieved 4 September 2019.
- "Chris Gayle, Andre Russell and Shahid Afridi among big names taken at LPL draft". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 22 October 2020.
- "CSA reveals Division One squads for 2021/22". Cricket South Africa. Retrieved 20 April 2021.
- "Duanne Olivier called up following Abbott's axe". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- "Abbott's Test career over as Hampshire move is confirmed". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- "Sri Lanka tour of South Africa, 3rd Test: South Africa v Sri Lanka at Johannesburg, Jan 12–16, 2017". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 12 January 2017.
- "Olivier takes six wickets to overshadow Steyn record". Yahoo News. Retrieved 26 December 2018.
- "Olivier takes second five-for of match as South Africa chase victory". International Cricket Council. Retrieved 27 December 2018.
- "South Africa secure 3-0 sweep as Pakistan crumble". International Cricket Council. Retrieved 14 January 2019.
- "Dale Steyn, Quinton de Kock rested from first two ODIs". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 16 January 2019.
- "1st ODI (D/N), Pakistan tour of South Africa at Port Elizabeth, Jan 19 2019". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 19 January 2017.