The Drury Panthers are the athletic teams that represent Drury University, located in Springfield, Missouri, in NCAA Division II intercollegiate sports. The Panthers compete as members of the Great Lakes Valley Conference for all 18 varsity sports. Drury has been a member of the GLVC since 2005.
|Conference||Great Lakes Valley Conference|
|Athletic director||Corey Bray |
|Basketball arena||O'Reilly Family Event Center|
|Colors||Scarlet and gray|
List of teamsEdit
Men's sports (9)
Women's sports (9)
|NCAA (23)||Division II (23)||Men's Basketball (1)||2013||Metro State||74–73|
|Men's Swimming and Diving (12)||1999||Cal State Bakersfield||829–557|
|2011||UC San Diego||600½–345|
|Women's Swimming and Diving (10)||1997||Oakland||690½–460|
|1998||Cal State Bakersfield||578½–386|
Baseball, in hiatus since the 1970s, was reorganized for the 2007 season by new head coach Mark Stratton. Bill Virdon was the first Panther to make a start. Trevor Richards was the first alum to pitch a Major League win, for the Miami Marlins.
Mike Carter played for the Drury Panthers, who in 1978-79 were 33-2 and won the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics national championship as he won the 1979 NAIA Men's Basketball Tournament's Charles Stevenson Hustle Award, and who over his two seasons with the team were 62-6. He holds the school's two-year record in rebounds (480). He was inducted into the Drury Panthers Hall of Fame in 2008.
On April 7, 2013, Drury won the Division II Men's National Championship in Basketball, defeating Metro State of Denver 74-73 after rallying from a 17-point deficit. The Panthers won their final 23 games of the season - a school record - to finish 31-4 on the season. They also captured their second Great Lakes Valley Conference championship and first NCAA Division II Midwest Regional along the way. In keeping with recent custom, the Division II champions were invited to play an exhibition game against Duke University.
Swimming and divingEdit
In 2016, Drury will field a wrestling program, the first in the Ozarks region in over 20 years. The addition means that the GLVC will have the required minimum of six teams to hold a conference championship tournament.
- "Drury University Athletics Style Guide" (PDF). Retrieved November 1, 2016.
- "NCAA Division II Men's Swimming and Diving Championship Results" (PDF). NCAA. NCAA.org. Retrieved January 16, 2016.
- "NCAA Division II Women's Swimming and Diving Championship Results" (PDF). NCAA. NCAA.org. Retrieved January 16, 2016.
- "NAIA DIVISION I MEN’S BASKETBALL"
- "Mike Carter (2008) - Hall of Fame". Drury University Athletics.
- "Drury Men's Basketball Guide 2008-09". Issuu.
- "Hall's FTs lift Drury past Metro State, 74-73". CBSSports.com. 7 April 2013.
- "Div. II champion Drury gets invitation from Duke". NCAA Men's Basketball.
- "DRURY MEN'S BASKETBALL ADDS FORMER NBA PLAYER TO COACHING STAFF".
- "Drury Athletics - 2012-13 Men's Swim & Dive Coaching Staff". drurypanthers.com.