Dronten bell tower
Location in Flevoland
|Established||1 January 1972|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Jean Paul Gebben (VVD)|
|• Total||423.89 km2 (163.66 sq mi)|
|• Land||333.89 km2 (128.92 sq mi)|
|• Water||90.00 km2 (34.75 sq mi)|
|Elevation||−2 m (−7 ft)|
|• Density||122/km2 (320/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Plans for the municipality of Dronten were made in the early half of the 1950s; real plans for the town of Dronten (the municipality's center) were revealed in 1958.
The foundations for the town were laid in 1960. Right from the start there was a discussion whether Dronten was to become a town or a city. The first plans assumed 15,000 inhabitants, while later plans foresaw a growth to 30,000 inhabitants. The first plans for the municipality assumed ten smaller villages situated around the central town (in this case, Dronten). The number of villages was reduced because of increased motorized traffic and experiences gained in developing the Noordoostpolder, where a similar municipality had already been built. Eventually, it was decided that there were to be two smaller villages (Biddinghuizen and Swifterbant) and one larger town (Dronten).
On 1 January 1972, Dronten was given its official name.
In 1995, Dronten hosted in Biddinghuizen the 18th World Scout Jamboree. 28,960 Scouts and staff members from 166 countries and territories participated this event.
Dutch Topographic map of Dronten (town), March 2014.
The majority of velomobile manufacturers in the world are based in Dronten. They include Alligt, velomobiel.nl and InterCityBike.
Biddinghuizen contains the theme park Walibi Holland.
Sister city relationsEdit
- Patrick Paauwe (born 1975) a Dutch former professional footballer, 451 caps
- Cees Paauwe (born 1977) a Dutch former football goalkeeper, over 100 caps
- Bertolf Lentink (born 1980) a Dutch singer/songwriter, plays guitar and piano
- Ricardo Talu (born 1993) a Dutch-Angolan professional footballer
- Hakim Ziyech (born 1993) a Moroccan professional footballer
- Beitske Visser (born 1995) a female racing driver
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 8251ER". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 1 September 2013.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 27 October 2017. Retrieved 27 October 2017.
- "International Exchange". List of Affiliation Partners within Prefectures. Council of Local Authorities for International Relations (CLAIR). Archived from the original on 21 November 2015. Retrieved 21 November 2015.