|Founder||Harsh Jain Bhavit Sheth|
Number of locations
Dream11 was co-founded by Harsh Jain and Bhavit Sheth in 2012. They started the company to introduce freemium fantasy sports in India for cricket fans. In 2014, the company reported 1 million registered users, which grew to 2 million in 2016 and to 30 million in 2018. It is a member of the Fantasy Sports Trade Association (FSTA) and is the founding member of the Indian Federation of Sports Gaming (IFSG). Dream11 is a Series D funded company with Tencent leading the latest round along with participation from the existing investors.
In 2017, a case was registered against the company in an Indian High Court. The court, in its ruling, stated that playing the Dream11 game involves considerable skill, judgement and discretion and that a user can win a Dream11 game users’ exercise, superior knowledge, judgement and attention. The Court also held that ‘the element of skill’ had a predominant influence on the outcome of the Dream11 game. However, the law does not allow Fantasy Sports in Assam, Odisha and Telangana. The residents of these states are not permitted to join cash contests
A challenge to this judgement was filed with the Supreme Court of India, which dismissed the appeal. The judgement provided legality to the company and allowed them to run their operations throughout the country.
In 2017, the company partnered with the Hero Caribbean Premier League to become their Official Fantasy Cricket Partner. Later in the year, they partnered with the Hero Indian Super League as their Official Fantasy Football Partner. In November 2017, US professional basketball league National Basketball Association (NBA), launched a fantasy basketball game in association with Dream11 and launched their official NBA fantasy game on their platform.
In 2018, Dream11 announced its partnership with ICC and became their official Fantasy game partner for five years. It also partnered with Pro Kabaddi League. Later in the year, it announced another partnership with International Hockey Federation (FIH), where Dream11 became FIH's fantasy game partner from 2019 to 2022 and can operate fantasy games relating to all FIH events. Next month, company entered into another major partnership for Australia's domestic Twenty20 cricket leagues WBBL and BBL; and it became their official fantasy game partner until 2021.
The company first signed commentator Harsha Bhogle as their brand ambassador in 2017. The following year in March, the company signed cricketer Mahendra Singh Dhoni as their new brand ambassador and launched the “Dimaag se Dhoni” media campaign during the 2018 Indian Premier League.
Dream11 provides a platform for multiple fantasy sports including cricket and football . It is an online game where users create a virtual team of real-life players and earn points based on the performances of these players in real matches. A user who scores the maximum points in his joined contest attains the first rank on the leaderboard. Dream11 offers free and paid contests. A user has to pay a certain fee to join a contest and can win real cash. To participate in a Dream11 game, a user must be at least 18 years old.
- Gooptu, Biswarup (2018-04-19). "Internet giant Tencent in advanced talks to invest $100 million in Dream11". The Economic Times. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- "How to setup your Dream11 app and earn money during this IPL 2018". The Indian Express. 2018-04-13. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- "FoxyMoron bags the digital mandate For Dream11 - ET BrandEquity". ETBrandEquity.com. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- "Vikrant Mudaliar is Dream11's new CMO". www.afaqs.com. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- "Important Movers and shakers Of The Week [05-10 Feb 2018]". Inc42 Media. 2018-02-09. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- "India's Dream11 Sports Gaming Platform Unveils New Brand Identity". Branding in Asia Magazine. 2018-03-21. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- Laghate, Gaurav (2018-03-23). "How fantasy sports is becoming a multi-billion dollar business globally". The Economic Times. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- Bureau, BW Online. "2 out of 3 Online Cricket Fans Aware of Fantasy Sports in India". BW Disrupt. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- "Tencent leads $100 mn investment in fantasy sport platform Dream11". VCCircle. 2018-09-06. Retrieved 2018-09-17.
- "Dream11 closes $100 M funding led by Tencent; inches towards Unicorn status - YourStory | DailyHunt". DailyHunt. Retrieved 2018-09-17.
- "Dream11 STARS | Dream11 Team | Daily Prediction and Preview". Dream11 STARS | Dream11 Team | Daily Prediction and Preview. Retrieved 2018-12-10.
- "Fantasy Sports to have 100 million users in India by 2019, the journey has just begun: Harsh Jain, Chairman, IFSG & CEO, Dream11 - The Financial Express". www.financialexpress.com. Retrieved 2018-11-22.
- "From growth of Fantasy Sports platforms to their legality in India, Harsh Jain, CEO of Dream11 answers our queries". The Indian Express. 2018-10-17. Retrieved 2018-11-22.
- https://www.telugu360.com/telanganas-gaming-act-forbids-fantasy-cricket-game-dream11/. Missing or empty
- "Fantasy sports see an uptick with paid users, legal clarity during IPL - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- "SC rejects appeal to initiate criminal action against Dream11, does this end the debate on fantasy sports legality? - Gambling Laws". glaws.in. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- "Dream11 ropes in Happy mcgarrybowen for rebranding". The Drum. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- "Tencent eyes $100 Mn investment in Fantasy sports platform Dream11". Entrackr. 2018-04-19. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- "Dream11 selects FoxyMoron to strengthen digital presence". www.televisionpost.com. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- "NBA and Dream11 to bring fantasy basketball to India". Indian Television Dot Com. 2017-11-02. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- "Dream11 becomes ICC's official Fantasy game partner". The Indian Express. 2018-11-14. Retrieved 2018-11-22.
- "Dream11 becomes official Fantasy Game Partner for ICC, plans new innovations for future events - The Financial Express". www.financialexpress.com. Retrieved 2018-11-22.
- Laghate, Gaurav (2018-11-14). "Dream11 becomes ICC's fantasy game partner". The Economic Times. Retrieved 2018-11-22.
- "Startup Street: How Dream11 Is Cashing In On India's Growing Love For Fantasy Sports". BloombergQuint. Retrieved 2018-11-22.
- "FIH announces a first-of-its-kind partnership with India's biggest sports game Dream11 | FIH". www.fih.ch. Retrieved 2018-12-19.
- IANS (2018-11-29). "FIH announces partnership with Dream11". Business Standard India. Retrieved 2018-12-19.
- IANS (2018-12-14). "Dream11 announces partnership Australia's BBL". Business Standard India. Retrieved 2018-12-19.
- Sharma, Harsh (2018-12-14). "Dream11 becomes official fantasy game partner of Big Bash League". InsideSport. Retrieved 2018-12-19.
- "MS Dhoni to be the new face of sports gaming platform Dream11 - ET BrandEquity". ETBrandEquity.com. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- "Dhoni Becomes Brand Ambassador Of Gaming Platform Dream 11". Outlook India. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- "Dhoni becomes brand ambassador of gaming platform". The Times Of India. 6 March 2018.
- "MS Dhoni Chosen As The Brand Ambassador For 'Dream11'". Mumbai Live.
- "Play game on Dream11 app and earn money". Rajasthan Patrika. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- "Leo Burnett Orchard wins the creative duties of Dream11". www.bestmediaifo.com. Retrieved 2018-04-24.