This article describes a work or element of fiction in a primarily in-universe style. (June 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Dreadnoughts are a type of fictional robot appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. Frequently employed by villainous organizations, different forms are depicted within said organizations. The robots first appeared in Strange Tales #154 (May 1940).
|First appearance||Strange Tales #154 (March 1967)|
|Created by||Roy Thomas|
|Abilities||Superhuman strength and durability|
Projectile spikes on knuckles
Ability to cause radiation emission from eyes
Fictional character biographyEdit
The Dreadnought is a non-sentient robotic combat instrument originally created by the subversive HYDRA organization for use in various commando operations. The Dreadnought was first used to breach the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier to attempt to assassinate Nick Fury.[volume & issue needed]
Powers and abilitiesEdit
The original model was designed by HYDRA and the Silver Dreadnought was built by the Maggia. Its robotic materials, design and construction from a titanium steel alloy afford the Dreadnought superhuman strength, stamina, durability, and reflexes. It has limited artificial intelligence, and no capacity for self-motivated activity. It's programmed for hand-to-hand combat in the style of an American boxer and for combat uses of its built-in weapons sub-systems.
Both major models' gauntlets have flamethrower nozzles, capable of firing a hydrazine-liquid oxygen mix. Its knuckles are studded with spikes which can be shot like rifle bullets. From the modules mounted like ears, the Dreadnought generates a powerful electrical charge which conducts throughout its body's frame and through conducting material. The Dreadnought has no capability for projecting this electricity, but is capable of electrifying by touch. The Dreadnought's optical imaging sensor eyes are gamma ray particle beam projectors which can irradiate a target. The Dreadnought’s mouth is connected to a tank of refrigerated Freon gas which allows the Dreadnought a single-use attack of freezing breath.
The Dreadnought 2000 designed by A.I.M. has gauntlet projectors firing high pressure jets of either water, liquid oxygen, acid, oil, powerful adhesive, anesthetic gas, and/or napalm, and/or beams capable of liquefying steel or solidifying gases in the air. It also has the eight gunpowder-launched knuckle spikes, body-wide electrical field, gamma ray particle beam projectors in its optical imaging sensors, and refrigerated Freon gas dispenser in the "mouth" cavity of the previous models.
In other mediaEdit
- The Dreadnoughts appear in the The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes animated series episode, "Iron Man is Born". These versions are built by HYDRA using Stark Industries' technology and used against Iron Man, but he is able to defeat them.
- The Dreadnoughts appear in the Avengers Assemble animated series episode, "Crack in the System". These incarnations are built by Hammer Industries and come in three variants, one of which served as experimental battle armor used by company head Justin Hammer. Ultron takes command of the Dreadnoughts to attack the Avengers, but the heroes are able to destroy them.
- DeFalco, Tom; Sanderson, Peter; Brevoort, Tom; Teitelbaum, Michael; Wallace, Daniel; Darling, Andrew; Forbeck, Matt; Cowsill, Alan; Bray, Adam (2019). The Marvel Encyclopedia. DK Publishing. p. 118. ISBN 978-1-4654-7890-0.
- Strange Tales Vol. 1 #154
- Iron Man #138
- Amazing Spider-Man Annual #26
- Invincible Iron Man #513