Drake M. Nevis (born May 8, 1989) is a Canadian football defensive tackle plays for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian Football League (CFL). Nevis won the 107th Grey Cup with the Blue Bombers in 2019. He played college football at LSU and Nevis was drafted in the third round of the 2011 NFL Draft by the Indianapolis Colts.
Nevis at the 2019 Grey Cup parade.
|No. 92 – Winnipeg Blue Bombers|
|Born:||May 8, 1989|
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||295 lb (134 kg)|
|High school:||John Ehret (Marrero, Louisiana)|
|NFL Draft:||2011 / Round: 3 / Pick: 87|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at CFL.ca|
High school careerEdit
Nevis attended John Ehret High School in Marrero, Louisiana, where he recorded 72 tackles (17 for losses), 18 sacks, 25 quarterback hurries, eight forced fumbles and two recovered fumbles as a senior. He received Class 5A first-team all-state honors and a SuperPrep All-American selection. Regarded as a four-star recruit by Rivals.com, Nevis was listed as the No. 9 defensive tackle prospect in the class of 2007.
After a 2-year stint with the Indianapolis Colts, Nevis was released on September 1, 2013.
San Diego ChargersEdit
Shortly after his release from the Colts, the San Diego Chargers claimed him off waivers. Nevis was released on September 17, 2013.
Nevis joined the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in 2015, but missed the season with injury. He returned in 2016 to produce 29 tackles and 5 sacks in 14 games played.
Winnipeg Blue BombersEdit
Nevis signed a two year free agent deal with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, and signed a one year extension in March 2019. Over these three seasons, Nevis played in 50 games, and impactful as a run-stuffer, making 72 tackles, to go along with 6 sacks. Through the 2019 season Nevis played an important role in a dominant defensive line that built up a reputation, giving up short yardage to the run and putting pressure on the quarterback, led by Willie Jefferson, together with Jackson Jeffcoat, Jake Thomas, and Steven Richardson. Their strong play in the 2019 CFL playoffs saw several stuffs on third down to win the 2019 West Division Final and in the 107th Grey Cup, which they would go on to win, Winnipeg's first championship in 29 years. Nevis recorded one sack in the championship game, as the Bombers defence controlled the match.
- "2011 NFL Draft Listing". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved 2019-02-26.
- "Defensive tackles 2007". Rivals.com. January 24, 2007.
- Alper, Josh (September 24, 2013). "Cowboys sign Drake Nevis". NBCSports.com. Retrieved 2014-07-16.
- Durant to IR; Nevis Among 3 Released; LB Lemon Returns
- Jaguars Sign DT Drake Nevis
- Gantt, Darin (May 13, 2014). "Panthers claim Drake Nevis off waivers from Jags". NBCSports.com. Retrieved 2014-07-16.
- Jeff Hamilton (November 26, 2019). "A celebration fit for champs". Winnipeg Free Press.
- Pat Steinberg (November 25, 2019). "Steinberg's MMQB: A Redemption-Themed Grey Cup". CFL.