Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Technical University (AKTU), before 2015 as the Uttar Pradesh Technical University (UPTU), is a public collegiate university in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India. It was established as the Uttar Pradesh Technical University through the Government of Uttar Pradesh on 8 May 2000. To reduce workload and to ensure proper management, the university was bifurcated into separate universities, Gautam Buddh Technical University (GBTU) and Mahamaya Technical University (MTU), with effect from 1 May 2010. In 2013, as a new government came into power, the university was formed again by combining the two on 5 January 2013.
Motto in English
|Excellence in action is yoga|
|Type||State Government University|
|Established||26 July 2000|
|Chancellor||Governor of Uttar Pradesh|
It is an affiliating university, with approximately 800 colleges affiliated to it. The university was earlier on the IET Lucknow campus. Now it is in its newly inaugurated campus in Jankipuram, Lucknow. Additionally, the university had a Centre and Regional Office in Noida, Uttar Pradesh.
Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Technical University, Lucknow formerly Uttar Pradesh Technical University (UPTU), was established by the government of Uttar Pradesh on 8 May 2000 (Act No. 1248 (2)XVII-V-I-I-19-2000 Uttar Pradesh Adhiniyam Sankhya 23 of 2000). Under the University Act, 'Technical Education' includes programmes of education, research, and training in engineering, technology, architecture, town planning, pharmacy, applied arts and crafts, and such other programmes and areas that the central government may declare by notification in the Gazette in consultation with All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE).
The university was bifurcated into the Mahamaya Technical University and Gautam Buddha Technical University as of 1 May 2010 for better management of education in the state. On 1 May 2013, the Uttar Pradesh government decided to merge GBTU and MTU to bring back the original form of UPTU. On 31 October 2013, GBTU and MTU merged back to UPTU, the university with the maximum number of colleges affiliated to it, in India. On 18 September 2015, the university was officially renamed as Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Technical University.
Vinay Kumar Pathak was appointed VC in August 2015 and reappointed for an additional three years in 2018. When his tenure ended in August 2021, Vineet Kansal was appointed VC as an additional charge. Kansal was replaced by Pradeep Kumar Mishra in January 2022.
The university is affiliating in nature and its jurisdiction spanned the state of Uttar Pradesh. It is one of the largest technical universities in India and perhaps in Asia. Because of its size, the number of colleges affiliated with it, and geographic dispersion, it is sub-divided into five zones with 45–50 colleges in each zone for the ease of management and facilitating inter-zonal comparison and possible internal competition to enhance the quality of teaching-learning processes.
The university envisioned to facilitate and nurture quality technical education and research in its own premises as well as all affiliated institutions. There were 49 affiliated colleges in 2000, now in August 2019, 785 colleges and institutions. The task of the university included conducting the SEE-UPTU for admission to programs affiliated with it. The university conducted central examinations each semester for all the affiliated colleges and institutions. Results were declared using technology-enabled systems. At present, in August 2019 around 4,00,000 students are enrolled in its programmes. The medium of instruction and examination is English.
As per a dipstick study conducted by MeritTrac in association with UPTU Watch magazine (2011), the engineering talent pool of the university was found to be significantly better than the national average.
- Institute of Engineering and Technology
- Faculty of Architecture
- Centre for Advanced Studies, Lucknow
- U.P. Institute of Design, Noida
Formerly affiliated institutionsEdit
The university offers undergraduate courses in engineering, architecture, hotel management and catering technology, fashion and apparel design, and pharmacy. These lead to degrees of B.Tech, B.Arch, BHMCT, BFAD, and B.Pharma respectively. The university offers postgraduate courses in computer applications and business administration leading to degrees of MCA, MBA and MBA (Rural Development).
The university received its lowest number of applications in 2016, lowest in past 5 years. The university offers training and placement support to affiliated colleges and institutes through the University industry interface cell(UIIC). The top colleges affiliated  to Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Technical University have been providing excellent placement record over the years.
List of notable people who studied at Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Technical University, Lucknow.
Government and politicsEdit
- Sudhanshu Trivedi, MP
- Praveen Kumar Nishad, MP
- Yasar Shah, former MLA
- Abdullah Azam Khan, MLA
- Swati Maliwal, chairperson of Delhi Commission for Women
- Arun Verma, former MLA
- Utkarsh Verma, former MLA
Film and televisionEdit
Entrepreneur and otherEdit
- Srijan Pal Singh, Author
- Durg Singh Chauhan (26.07.2000 to 25.07.2006)
- R. K. Mittal (26.07.2006 to 30.07.2006)
- Prem Vrat (31.07.2006 to 30.07.2009)
- Kripa Shanker (31.07.2009 to 18.09.2012)
- R.K. Khandal (19.09.2012 to 29.04.2015)
- Onkar Singh (30.04.2015 to 03.08.2015)
- Vinay Kumar Pathak (August 2015 to August 2021)
- Vineet Kansal (August 2021 to January 2022)
- Pradeep Kumar Mishra (January 2022 onwards) https://aktu.ac.in/vice-chancellor-profile.html
- "Accreditation: Universities: Uttar Pradesh: Uttar Pradesh Technical University, Lucknow". All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) website. Archived from the original on 24 January 2010. Retrieved 21 May 2010.
- "UPTU Circular" (PDF) (in Hindi). Lucknow. 28 May 2010. p. 1. Archived from the original (PDF) on 21 July 2011. Retrieved 25 March 2011.
- "Govt merges MTU, GBTU to form UPTU". The Times Of India.
- "Institute List". Gautam Buddh Technical University. Archived from the original on 21 April 2012. Retrieved 25 April 2012.
- "UPTU Renamed". No. August 1, 2015. IndiaToday. IndiaToday. Retrieved 4 November 2016.
- Mullick, Rajeev (20 June 2017). "PM Modi to inaugurate AKTU's newly constructed campus in Lucknow today". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 15 January 2022.
- "Professor vinay kumar pathak reappointed as AKTU VC". Patrika (in Hindi). 2 August 2018. Retrieved 15 January 2022.
- Mullick, Rajeev (5 January 2022). "Professor Pradeep Kumar Mishra is new VC of AKTU". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 15 January 2022.
- "About AKTU • Know Your College • AKTU".
- "Engineering Talent Pool Survey Report". UPTU Watch. 10 February 2011. Archived from the original on 20 August 2011. Retrieved 25 March 2011.
- Courses offered by gbtu Archived 16 May 2013 at the Wayback Machine, uptu.ac.in Retrieved 09-07-2012
- "UPSEE courses not so popular among students?". The Times of India. 26 March 2016. Retrieved 28 May 2016.
- "AKTU Placement and Training".
- "Dr. Sudhanshu Trivedi | National Portal of India".
- "Praveen Kumar Nishad - National Portal of India".