Doug Bowser is an American businessman and the current president and chief operating officer (COO) of Nintendo of America. He was its senior vice president of sales and marketing until April 16, 2019, when he was promoted to his current position following the retirement of Reggie Fils-Aimé.
|Alma mater||University of Utah|
|Occupation||President and COO of Nintendo of America|
Prior to working at Nintendo, Bowser held various positions within Electronic Arts and Procter & Gamble. He joined Nintendo in 2015 as the vice president of sales and marketing, and was promoted to senior vice president of sales and marketing in the summer of 2016, where he oversaw the promotion and release of the Nintendo Switch.
In February 2019, it was announced that he would be replacing the outgoing Reggie Fils-Aimé as the president and chief operating officer of Nintendo of America in April. The announcement was met with humorous reaction online, stemming from the fact that Bowser's surname is also shared by the main antagonist of the Mario franchise, Bowser. BBC referred to the news as "one of the most charming cases of nominative determinism ever". Nintendo referenced the name similarity as a joke during their E3 2019 Nintendo Direct presentation.
- Farrell, Paul (February 21, 2019). "Doug Bowser: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know". Heavy.com. Retrieved May 4, 2019.
- "Doug Bowser". LinkedIn.
- Gremlich, Krista (February 21, 2019). "Nintendo of America's Doug Bowser to Take Over as President". Bloomberg.
- MacDonald, Keza (February 21, 2019). "Bowser takes over at Nintendo in US after Fils-Aime's 13-year reign". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved February 24, 2019.
- "Nintendo of America's Reggie Fils-Aime to Retire: Doug Bowser Named New President". Business Wire. February 21, 2019. Retrieved February 22, 2019.
- Webb, Kevin. "Nintendo of America's new president is named Bowser, and everyone is making the same jokes". Business Insider. Retrieved February 22, 2019.
- Grayson, Nathan. "The Internet Reacts To Bowser Taking Over Nintendo". Kotaku. Retrieved February 22, 2019.
- Lee, Dave (February 21, 2019). "Bowser takes over at Nintendo of America". BBC. Retrieved February 22, 2019.
- Good, Owen S. (June 11, 2019). "At E3, Nintendo riffs on Doug Bowser's name in the best way". Polygon. Vox Media. Retrieved June 11, 2019.