Double skin milk
Double skin milk (Chinese: 雙皮奶; Jyutping: soeng1 pei4 naai5) is a Cantonese dessert made of milk, egg whites, and sugar. It was first invented in Shunde, Guangdong.  It is a velvety smooth milk custard somewhat resembling panna cotta, with two skins. The first skin is formed during cooling of the boiled milk and the second when cooling the cooked custard. Traditionally, buffalo milk is used; its higher fat content compared to cow's milk produces a smooth texture. This dessert is particularly famous in Shunde, Guangzhou, Macau, and Hong Kong.
|Alternative names||Shuang Pi Nai, 双皮奶 （in Chinese)|
|Course||Dessert, Cantonese dessert|
|Place of origin||China|
|Region or state||Shunde, Guangdong|
|Associated national cuisine||Chinese|
|Serving temperature||Cold or warm|
|Main ingredients||milk (Buffalo milk), egg white,sugar|
Double skin milk originated from the Daliang Town, Shunde District in Guangdong. It is said to have been created by Grandma Dong in Qing Dynasty in Shunde. At that time, there was no refrigerator and the temperature was always high in Guangdong. Cowherd Grandma Dong found difficulties in storing milk. In one experiment, she boiled the milk and found a skin formed on the milk after cooling it down. The skin was surprisingly delicious. Hence, she started to sell milk with skins in her store and the products became popular in the neighborhood. However, milk with skins tended to spill easily during transportation. To solve this problem, Grandma Dong added egg white to the milk, which allowed the milk to curdle after boiling. After several improvements, we have today's double skin milk, with Grandma Dong credited as the originator. Nowadays, the skills used in making double skin milk are listed as part of the Shunde Intangible Cultural Heritage.
- Double skin milk is rich in protein , which balances potassium sodium, eliminates edema, boosts immunity, lowers blood pressure, buffers anemia, and is conducive to growth.
- Double skin milk is rich in calcium , which is helpful to bone development. It helps human bodies to regulate enzyme activity, which allows bodies to participate in nerve activity, muscle activity, and neurotransmitter release. It also helps human bodies to regulate hormone secretion and heart rate. It also reduces cardiovascular permeability, eliminates inflammation and edema, and balances acid-base in human bodies.
Famous dessert shops for double skin milkEdit
Shunde, Foshan CityEdit
1. Renxin Laopu
- Zhu, Xinrui (26 October 2012). "Recipe: Double-skin milk pudding". Vox Magazine. Archived from the original on 7 July 2015. Retrieved 4 August 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- An, Zhi (14 January 2011). "美食典故:双皮奶的由来". 食品中国. Retrieved 1 December 2020.
- Yao, Jiajia (18 August 2015). "盘点双皮奶的营养价值和功效". 99饮食. Retrieved 1 December 2020.
- H, Qing (9 May 2020). "Rich and Fresh Double Skin Milk". Miss Chinese Food. Retrieved 1 December 2020.
- Wu, Ya (23 August 2013). "双皮奶的营养价值". 全民健康网. Retrieved 1 December 2020.