Dore Ashton (May 21, 1928 – January 30, 2017) was a writer, professor and critic on modern and contemporary art. She was born in Newark, New Jersey. She was the author or editor of more than thirty books on art, including Noguchi East and West, About Rothko, American Art Since 1945, The New York School: A Cultural Reckoning and Picasso On Art. Ashton also contributed to many publications including Art Digest and worked as an art critic at the New York Times. Ashton was one of the New York art critics who championed the New York School, whose members also included Harold Rosenberg and Barbara Rose. Ashton's 1983 work on Mark Rothko, About Rothko, remains a source of much discussion about the artist. Ashton's most recent book, David Rankin: The New York Years, on artist David Rankin was released in July 2013.
Ashton received numerous awards, including Guggenheim Foundation Fellowships in 1963 and 1969, the Frank J. Mather Award for art criticism from the College Art Association in 1963 and a Ford Foundation Award in 1965. Ashton was a professor of art history at the Cooper Union in New York and a senior critic in painting and printmaking at Yale. Ashton received an M.A. from Harvard University.
- The Unknown Shore: A View of Contemporary Art. Little, Brown, 1962.
- A Reading of Modern Art. Case Western Reserve University Press, 1970.
- Rosa Bonheur: A Life and a Legend. The Viking Press, 1981.
- Abstract Expressionist Painting in America. Harvard University Press, 1983.
- Out of the Whirlwind: Three Decades of Arts Commentary. UMI Research Press, 1987.
- Picasso on Art: A Selection of Views. Da Capo Press, 1988.
- A Critical Study of Philip Guston. University of California Press, 1990.
- A Fable of Modern Art. University of California Press, 1991.
- The New York School: A Cultural Reckoning. University of California Press, 1992.
- Noguchi East and West. University of California Press, 1993.
- About Rothko. Da Capo Press, 1996.
- A Joseph Cornell Album. Da Capo Press, 2002.
- David Rankin: The New York Years. Macmillan Art Publishing, 2013.
- "Dore Ashton,Cooper Union".
- "NY School Review".
- "Dictionary of Art Historians".
- "Interview with Ashton".
- "Dore Ashton Papers and Ashton New York Times".
- "Art forum Ashton and Rose".
- "Ashton on Rothko".
- "Dore Ashton Guggenheim Fellow".[permanent dead link]
- "Dore Ashton, Yale".
- "Dore Ashton (1928–2017)". Art Forum. Artforum International Magazine. 2 February 2017.