Dongdamen Night Market
The Dongdamen Night Market or Dongdaemun Night Market (Chinese: 東大門夜市; pinyin: Dōngdàmén Yèshì) is a night market in Hualien City, Hualien County, Taiwan. It is the largest night market in the county.
|Location||Hualien City, Hualien County, Taiwan|
|Opening date||July 2015|
|Days normally open||7|
|Number of tenants||400 vendors|
|Total retail floor area||9 hectares|
Dongdamen means big east gate in English due to its location at the eastern edge of Hualien City.
The area where the night market stands today used to be the area of the old train station. The night market was opened in July 2015. On 3 June 2019, the night market was engulfed in flame, which started about 1 a.m. The fire damaged 660 m2 area of the night market and burned down 32 stalls.
The night market was constructed as part of the 6th rezoning area. It spreads over an area of 9 hectares and consists of Futing Night Market (Chinese: 福町夜市) for Taiwanese cuisine, street of Taiwanese aborigines cuisine (Chinese: 原住民一條街), Zhiqiang Night Market (Chinese: 自強夜市) and street of Mainland China cuisine (Chinese: 各省一條街). The night market also features a center plaza, tourist information center, an ecology pond and a lookout tower.
Currently there are 400 vendors operating at the night market.
- Spencer, David (21 February 2018). "Taiwan Hualien's Top Tourist Attractions". Taiwan News. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- "Hualien Tungtamen Night Market". Guide to Taipei.com. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- "Hualien Dongdamen Tourist Night Market". TravelKing. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- Everington, Keoni (3 June 2019). "Video shows night market fire burn down 50 stalls prior to Han rally in E. Taiwan". Taiwan News. Retrieved 3 June 2019.
- "The introduction of Hualien Dongdamen Night Market". 東大門夜市. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dongdamen Night Market.|
|This article about a building or structure in Taiwan is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|