This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Dǒng (Chinese: 董; pinyin: Dǒng; Cantonese: Tung/Tong) is a surname of Chinese origin. DONG is from a Chinese character that also means ‘to supervise’ or ‘to manage’. The story goes that in the 23rd Century BC, an adviser to the emperor Shun was given this surname due to his ability to supervise and train dragons. In 2019, it was the 35th most common surname in Mainland China, shared by 6,770,000 people or 0.510% of the population.
Dǒng origins from:
- Zhu Rong (祝融) of Ji (己) family get surname Dong (董) on territory of Chu (state).
- Dongfu (董父) was descendant of ruler Shuan (叔安) in Chifeng, he married a daughter of Emperor Yao, use surname Dong (董).
- during the Zhou Dynasty, someone of government public official get surname Dong with Public Office name.
- during the Ming Dynasty, the Ming Government give the surname Dong (董) to the leader of the Jurchen.
People with the name Dong (董) include:
- Dong Feng (physician) (董奉), Eastern Han physician
- Dong Qiao (董橋), writer
- Dong Qichang (董其昌), Ming Dynasty painter, scholar, calligrapher, and art theorist
- Dong Yuan (董源), painter
- Dong Zhen (董贞), singer-songwriter
- Dong Zhongshu (董仲舒), Han Dynasty scholar
- Dong Zhuo (董卓), Warlord of the Han Dynasty
- Dong Yi General of the Qin Dynasty
- Dong Fuxiang (董福祥), Qing dynasty General
- Dong Dong (董栋), trampoline gymnast, olympic gold medalist
- Dong Fangzhuo (董方卓), football striker
- Dong Fuxiang (董福祥), Qing dynasty general
- Dong Huling (董虎岭), taijiquan teacher
- Dong Sicheng (董思成; member of Korean boygroup NCT and Chinese boygroup WayV)
- Tung Chao Yung (董浩雲; Dong Haoyun), shipping magnate
- Tung Chee Hwa (董建華; Dong Jianhua), first Chief Executive of Hong Kong
- Tung Soo Hua (董素华; Dong Suhua), Singaporean television news presenter
- Tung Hsiang-lung (董翔龍), Commander of the Republic of China Navy (2011–2013)
- Tung Kuo-yu (董國猷), Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of China (2011–2013)
- Tung Ying-chieh (董英杰; Dong Yingjie), taijiquan teacher
- Joanna Dong (董姿彦; Dong Zhiyan), Singaporean songwriter
- Đổng Trọng Thư (Dong Zhongshu). Vietnamese version[permanent dead link]
- Đồng Đệ Chu (Vietnamese version) and Tong Dizhou (English version). Cri.cn website.
|This page lists people with the surname Dǒng. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|