Discovery Land Company
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (February 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Discovery Land Company is a Scottsdale, Arizona-based developer and operator of private residential communities and clubs in North America. The company has been called one of the best developers of resort communities by Robb Report Vacation Homes and Luxury Living magazines. In 2010, Discovery Land Company recorded over $600 million in sales. In 2015, the company recorded over $1 billion in sales.
- 1 History
- 2 Properties Developed
- 2.1 Baker’s Bay
- 2.2 Chileno Bay Golf & Beach Club
- 2.3 Cordevalle Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort
- 2.4 El Dorado Golf & Beach Club
- 2.5 The Estancia Club
- 2.6 Gozzer Ranch
- 2.7 The Hideaway
- 2.8 Iron Horse
- 2.9 Kuki'o
- 2.10 The Madison Club
- 2.11 Makena
- 2.12 Mirabel
- 2.13 Mountaintop Golf and Lake Club
- 2.14 Silo Ridge Field Club
- 2.15 The Summit
- 2.16 Vaquero
- 2.17 Yellowstone Club
- 3 Closed Communities
- 4 Philanthropy
- 5 External links
- 6 References
Discovery Land Company was founded in 1994 by Michael S. Meldman with the opening of The Estancia Club in Scottsdale, Arizona, and then the Iron Horse project in Whitefish, Montana. The company has 19 properties in Hawaii, California, Arizona, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Texas, New York, and North Carolina in the U.S., Los Cabos, Mexico and Great Guana Cay in the Bahamas.
It is rumored that the company will be investing in an established two course venue in Phuket, Thailand in the New Year.
The Baker's Bay Golf & Ocean Club is a private, property owners only club community perched on the northern 600 acres (2.4 km2) of Great Guana Cay in the Abaco family islands of the Bahamas, located about 190 miles off the southern coast of Florida. The community features a golf course designed by Tom Fazio as well as a private, members-only marina. Approximately seventy acres of the club's property is a designated nature preserve which is slated to be used for studying nature, exploration, and eco-recreation. The community is unique in that real estate ownership is prerequisite to being a member.
Chileno Bay Golf & Beach ClubEdit
Cordevalle Golf, Tennis and Spa ResortEdit
CordeValle Golf Club is an invitation-only golf, social, tennis, and executive retreat for Silicon Valley business leaders and entrepreneurs. The Club’s facilities were initially developed by Lions Gate Limited Partnership, a Delaware limited partnership. Prior to the issuance of non-equity memberships in the Club, the Lions Gate Limited Partnership transferred its ownership of the Club’s property and the Club Facilities to CordeValle Golf Club, LLC. In March 2007, Cordevalle L.P., a California limited partnership, purchased certain assets from, and assumed certain liabilities of, the Initial Developer and CordeValle Golf Club, LLC, including the Club, the Club Facilities and the Club Memberships.
El Dorado Golf & Beach ClubEdit
El Dorado Golf and Beach Club is a private, gated beachfront community and golf club in Los Cabos, Mexico. The club features a golf course designed by former professional golfer Jack Nicklaus. It is a non-equity membership club limited to 395 memberships.
The Estancia ClubEdit
The Estancia Club, which opened in 1995, is located on 640 acres (2.6 km2) acres of the northern slope of Scottsdale's landmark Pinnacle Peak in the gated community of Estancia.The Tom Fazio designed 18-hole championship golf course offers 7,314 yards of golf.
Gozzer Ranch is a lakefront community and private club located on 700 acres (2.8 km2) acres near Coeur d’Alene, Idaho.In 2015, the golf course at Gozzer Ranch was named in Golfweek Magazine's Best Residential Courses.
The community includes a private golf course designed by Tom Fazio. There are two marinas that have 175 total slips. The community has 267 estate-sized homesites, 34 golf cabins, 28 homestead cottages, and 28 condominiums.
The Hideaway is a golf club and residential development in La Quinta, California.
Kūkiʻo Golf and Beach Club is a private, residential equity club located adjacent to the Four Seasons Hotel on the Kona-Kohala coast on the Big Island of Hawaii. The club features two golf courses designed by Tom Fazio, one is a 10-hole course, the other is 18 holes.
In 2015, Kuki'o was named one of Hawaii's "Best Neighbor Island" resorts by World Property Journal.
The Madison ClubEdit
Mirabel is a gated golf community that opened in 2001. It covers 713 acres (2.89 km2) of Sonoran Desert terrain in North Scottsdale, at an elevation of 3,000 feet (910 m).It features a golf course designed by Tom Fazio that is a 7,147-yard, par-71 course.
Mountaintop Golf and Lake ClubEdit
Mountaintop Golf and Lake Club is a private golf and residential community consisting of 731 acres (2.96 km2) acres in the Highlands-Cashiers region of the western North Carolina mountains. The community offers 251 estate lots and 75 cabins for purchase. Mountaintop is approximately a 2.5 hour drive from Atlanta.
Silo Ridge Field ClubEdit
The Summit is nine miles from the Las Vegas Strip and is a private, luxury gated golf community located on 555 acres (2.25 km2) acres of land within Summerlin. The community will offer 269 residences and a golf course designed by Tom Fazio.
In 2013, Vaquero was rated by Avid Golfer as the Best Overall Private Country Club.
The price of residences start at around $4,000,000, members must pay an initial fee of $400,000 to join and $36,000 each year in dues. The community offers 15 chairlifts, three ski lodges, 2,200 acres (8.9 km2) skiable acres and an 18-hole Tom Weiskopf designed golf course.
In 2008, the Discovery Land Company entered an agreement with Yellowstone Club, establishing a long-term partnership for development and management. In 2009 the Yellowstone Club was purchased and brought out of bankruptcy by investors led by CrossHarbor Capital Partners, including a 5 percent share by Discovery Land Company.
Spanish Oaks Golf ClubEdit
Foreclosure of Spanish OaksEdit
In 2010, Spanish Oaks and its owners (Hillwood Partners, Discovery Land Company and CCNG, Inc.) defaulted on their original loan of $34.4 million and was forced into foreclosure. As a result, the property has been closed to its members since July 15, 2010. On September 7, 2010, Spanish Oaks Golf Club was sold in foreclosure to Comerica Bank for a reported $29 million, and although the remaining members of the club have been in talks with Comerica to re-open the golf course for play, no date has been set for this to occur. To date, all facilities, including the member's clubhouse and golf course, remain closed indefinitely. This is not an accurate statement, Spanish Oaks was bought out of foreclosure in 2011 by Daniel Porter the original developer. 
The Discovery Land Company Foundation primarily supports children in shelters and in foster care. The Foundation donates to trusted charities providing the best programs and mentors to assist youth.
- Development Newsmaker of the Year 2007 Archived July 10, 2011, at the Wayback Machine, Golf Inc., March 21, 2007.
- Leading Man Archived July 10, 2011, at the Wayback Machine, Luxury Living, February–March 2007.
- Discovery Land Company A Success Story, World Property Journal, Oct 2010
- Developer Mike Meldman Is Real Estate’s Party Boy, The Wall Street Journal, January 14, 2016
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-04-02. Retrieved 2016-04-02.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Nassau and the Bahamas Archived 2016-06-02 at the Wayback Machine, Robb Report Home and Style November/December 2014.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-04-26. Retrieved 2016-05-11.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Links Magazine "Best of the Best Golf Communities" December 2014
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-05-12. Retrieved 2008-03-06.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Hawaii's Best 'Neighbor Island' Resorts Revealed World Property Journal, May 15, 2015
-  Archived 2016-06-03 at the Wayback MachineLinks Magazine "Best of the Best Golf Communities" December 2014
- The Best of the Private Clubs Archived 2015-02-26 at the Wayback Machine Avid Golfer, March 2013.
- This is How the Upscale Yellowstone Club Renovates a Lodge, Curbed Ski, May 4, 2016.
- [permanent dead link]Links Magazine "Best of the Best Golf Communities" December 2014
- Press Release:Yellowstone Club Enters into Agreement with Discovery Land Company, Business Wire, September 2, 2008.
- Yellowstone Club revival, Bozeman Daily Chronicle, January 2, 2011.
- Lender reclaims Spanish Oaks at foreclosure auction, Austin Statesman, September 7, 2010.