Discovery Kids (Latin American TV channel)
Discovery Kids (stylized as DK) is a Latin American pay television channel owned by Discovery, Inc. and headquartered in Miami, Florida, which started as a programming block on the Latin American version of Discovery Channel.
|Country||Latin America, Brazil, Puerto Rico and Belize|
|Broadcast area||Latin America, Brazil, Puerto Rico, Belize|
|Slogan||Aquí, en Discovery Kids (Spanish) Aqui, em Discovery Kids (Portuguese) (Here in Discovery Kids)|
|Picture format||1080i HDTV|
(downscaled to 16:9 480i/576i for the channel's SDTV feeds)
|Sister channels||Discovery Turbo|
Discovery Home & Health
|Launched||1 November 1996|
|Former names||Discovery Kids Channel (1996–97)|
|Website||Discovery Kids Latin America|
Discovery Kids Brazil
|NET TV (Brazil)||Channel 100 (SD)|
Channel 600 (HD)
|Dish Network (Mexico)||Channel 310|
|DirecTV (Latin America)||Channel 330|
|Sky (Mexico)||Channel 303|
|OneLink Communications||Channel 60|
The channel is divided into six live feeds: Pan-regional, Colombia, Southern, Mexico and Brazil, each with their own HD simulcast feeds. Until 2019, the channel had an HD version of the channel with different schedule broadcasting to all Latin America. The network is also available in Jamaica, St. Kitts and Nevis, Antigua and Barbuda, Dominica, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Barbados, Grenada, and Trinidad and Tobago.
The channel was launched on 1 January 1996 and programming was aimed for older children and preschoolers. Preschool programming aired in the mornings, while shows for older children aired in the afternoons-evenings. In September 2002, preschool programming began airing around the clock on weekdays, while shows for older children only aired around the clock on weekends.
In January 2003, the channel changed its programming to target mainly preschoolers removing all shows for older children.
The channel broadcasts 5 feeds, each having their own HD simulcast feed.
- Pan-regional feed: broadcasting to most Latin American countries, including the Caribbean. It uses the Colombian (UTC-5) and Argentine (UTC-3) time zones.
- Mexico feed: broadcasting exclusively to that country, with different schedule and TV series. It uses the Mexico City time zone (UTC-6/-5 DST) .
- Colombia feed: broadcasting exclusively to that country, with different schedule. It uses the Bogotá time zone (UTC-5).
- Southern feed: broadcasting to Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay, with different schedule. It uses the Buenos Aires time zone (UTC-3).
- Brazil feed: broadcasting exclusively to that country, with different schedule and TV series. Broadcasting in Portuguese, it uses the Brasilia time zone (UTC-3).
- La Ronda de Discovery Kids: The channel organized live events called La Ronda de Discovery Kids (The Discovery Kids Tour), where "Doki", the channel's mascot, along with characters from the series visited some cities and make performings. The last event with that name was in 2008, however, the channel still organizes events on Latin American cities from time to time. In 2009 was another similar project called Exploration which dealt with the environment, In 2010 was made only in Mexico a similar event called En sus marcas, listos, ya (On your marks, get set, go!) In July, August, and September 2012, They were performing Expreso Discovery Kids (Discovery Kids Express) in city of Mexico and Venezuela.
References/Websites about the articleEdit
- "Discovery Kids". Retrieved July 14, 2017.
- "Expreso Discovery Kids en Galerias Valle Oriente". Retrieved September 6, 2016.