Disappearance of April Fabb
22 April 1955
|Disappeared||8 April 1969 (aged 13)|
between the villages of Metton and Roughton, Norfolk, England, United Kingdom
|Status||Missing for 52 years and 5 months|
At around 1:40 pm on Tuesday 8 April 1969, Fabb left her home at 3 Council Houses, Metton to visit her sister's house in Roughton. Travelling by bicycle, she had a packet of ten cigarettes, 5½d and a handkerchief in the saddlebag, and was planning to deliver the cigarettes as a birthday present to her brother-in-law. Just after 2:00 pm, she was seen cycling along the country road towards Roughton.
Despite an extensive police investigation and search of the surrounding area, no trace of Fabb was found, and the reason for her disappearance remains unknown. Her disappearance led to the biggest police search operation the UK had seen, with the authorities having searched 400 houses, conducted hundreds of interviews and recorded close to 2,000 statements since 1969.
At the time of the disappearance of Genette Tate in August 1978, Norfolk Constabulary pointed out to Devon and Cornwall Police that there were strong similarities with the Fabb case. Both cases are unsolved and no link between the two has ever been proven.
In popular cultureEdit
In 2018, a play called Into Thin Air was inspired by Fabb's disappearance.
- "Norfolk schoolgirl April Fabb's 'agonising' disappearance". BBC. Retrieved 19 May 2020.
- Shields, Mark (8 April 2019). "'She vanished off the face of the earth'". BBC News. Retrieved 8 April 2019.
- "April Fabb – Background". Norfolk Constabulary. Archived from the original on 22 February 2016. Retrieved 14 February 2016.
- "Police ready to link Peter Tobin to further murders". The Scotsman. 18 June 2010. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- Johnson, Dennis (22 August 1978). "Missing girl: police check unsolved 1969 file". The Guardian. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- Malcolm Pithers "Killer faces questions on more sex murders", The Independent, 20 May 1994
- Richard Edwards "Prime suspect in 1978 murder of schoolgirl Genette Tate will not face charges", Daily Telegraph, 18 August 2008.
- "New Play Inspired By April Fabb Mystery". Heart East Anglia. Retrieved 8 April 2019.
- 2018 Norfolk News article pertaining to the ongoing investigation into the disappearance of April Fabb
- April Fabb at The Doe Network
- April Fabb - 50th anniversary Norfolk Police