Director general of police
In India, the Director General of Police (DGP) is a three-star rank and the highest ranking police officer in Indian States and Union Territories. All DGPs are Indian Police Service (IPS) officers. The DGP is usually the head of the state police force in every Indian state in which case the officer is called State Police Chief, which is a cabinet selection post. It is equal in rank to the Head of Forest Forces for the Indian Forest Service. There may also be additional officers in the state who hold the rank of DGP. Common appointments for such officers include Director of Vigilance and Anti-Corruption Bureau, Director General of Prisons, Director General of fire forces and civil defence, Criminal Investigation Department (CID), Police Housing Society etc. Additionally officers who hold the rank of DGP may have commensurate appointments in central government organisations such as Director, Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), Director SVPNPA, DG Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) etc. The rank insignia of a Director General of Police or Commissioner of Police (in Delhi) is the national emblem over crossed sword and baton. DGP-ranked officers wear Gorget patches on their collar which have a dark blue background with an oak leaf pattern stitched on it, similar to ADGs and IGs.
List of current Chiefs of Police Forces in the States and Union territories of IndiaEdit
|S.No||Union Territory||Headquarters||Name of the Police Chief||Batch|
|1||Andaman and Nicobar Islands||Port Blair||Deependra Pathak, IPS||1990|
|2||Chandigarh||Chandigarh||Sanjay Bainiwal, IPS||1989|
|3||Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu||Daman||Manish Kumar Agrawal, IPS||1996|
|4||Jammu and Kashmir||Srinagar (May-Oct) and Jammu (Nov-Apr)||Dil Bagh Singh, IPS||1987|
|5||Ladakh||Leh and Kargil||S. S. Khandare, IPS ||–|
|6||Lakshadweep||Kavaratti||Shibesh Singh, IPS||–|
|7||National Capital Territory of Delhi||Delhi||S.N. Srivastava, IPS||1985|
|8||Puducherry||Pondicherry||S. Sundari Nanda, IPS||1988|
- "UPSC". Upsc.gov.in. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
-  Archived 13 June 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- "IPS : Query Form". Mha1.nic.in. Archived from the original on 24 December 2016. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "DEPARTMENT OF POLICE, Andhra Pradesh Police, India".
- https://web.archive.org/web/20150206071500/http://arunpol.nic.in/home/telephonesearch.htm. Archived from the original on 6 February 2015. Retrieved 25 March 2020. Missing or empty
- India, Press Trust of (31 January 2019). "Gupteshwar Pandey takes over as new DGP of Bihar". Business Standard India. Retrieved 18 July 2019.
- "Chhattisgarh Police at Glance". Chhattisgarh Police. Archived from the original on 16 June 2015. Retrieved 16 June 2013.
- "New director general of police (DGP) Mukesh Kumar Meena, appointed as top cop". timesofindia.com. Retrieved 11 April 2016.
- "PC Thakur appointed as Gujarat top cop". NDTV.com. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "Senior IPS officer Manoj Yadava appointed Haryana's new DGP". Times of India. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- Hindustan Times. "Sanjay Kundu is Himachal DGP". Retrieved 30 May 2020.
- Department of Police, State Government of Jharkhand, India. "डीजीपी का संदेश". Jhpolice.gov.in. Archived from the original on 18 February 2015. Retrieved 18 February 2015.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Karnataka Police". Archived from the original on 10 January 2016.
- "Who is Who - Kerala Police Head Quarters".
- "Police Chiefs - MP Police". Mppolice.gov.in. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "IPS officer Subodh Kumar Jaiswal Maharashtra DGP, Sanjay Barve appointed Mumbai police commissioner". DNA. 28 February 2019. Retrieved 28 February 2019.
- "Official Website of Manipur Police". Manipurpolice.org. 19 November 2014. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "Govt. of Meghalaya, Home (Police) Department". Meghpol.nic.in. Archived from the original on 18 February 2015. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "Mizoram Police - Senior Police Officers". Mizoram.gov.in. Archived from the original on 23 November 2018. Retrieved 22 November 2018.
- "Nagaland Police - DGP Address". Nagapol.gov.in. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "BK Sharma appointed as DGP of Odisha Police". New Indian Express. Retrieved 8 August 2019.
- "Punjab Police, India". Punjabpolice.gov.in. Archived from the original on 18 February 2015. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "SIKKIM POLICE - DGP's Message". Sikkimpolice.nic.in. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "J.K. Tripathy is new DGP of Tamil Nadu". thehindu.com. Retrieved 29 June 2019.
- "KCR Nod For Telangana DGP as M.Mahender Reddy". TSO. Hyderabad, India. 10 November 2017.[permanent dead link]
- Government of Tripura. "Welcome to Tripura Police, Department of Home, Government of Tripura". Tripurapolice.nic.in. Archived from the original on 6 February 2015. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "UP Police". UP Police. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "Uttarakhand Police, Government Of Uttarakhand". uk.gov.in. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "Chandigarh Police - we care for you". Chandigarhpolice.nic.in. Archived from the original on 18 February 2015. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "Police Department » Daman & Diu » India". Ddpolice.gov.in. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "amulya patnaik appointed delhi police commissioner". Retrieved 29 February 2016.
- "Puducherry Police". Pondicherry.gov.in. Archived from the original on 18 February 2015. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
"Chhattisgarh Police at Glance". Chhattisgarh Police. Retrieved 16 June 2013. This a non-working (httpStatus<>200) link.