DirecTV Now (or simply DTV Now) is a subscription streaming television service by AT&T, which allows subscribers in the United States to stream programming from cable channels without the long term commitment. The service was launched on November 30, 2016. As of January 2018[update], the service has 1.2 million subscribers. The data used by the service is zero rated for AT&T Mobility customers while on the AT&T network, as well as T-Mobile US customers who have the carrier's "Binge On" feature enabled.
|Founded||November 30, 2016|
|Headquarters||El Segundo, California, United States|
|Randall Stephenson CEO|
|Services||OTT Internet Television|
On July 13, 2017, it was reported that AT&T is going to introduce a cloud-based DVR streaming service as part of its effort to create a unified platform across DirecTV and DirecTV Now streaming service, with U-verse to be added soon.
The service offers linear channels from major media conglomerates like A&E, AMC, CBS, Discovery, Disney, Fox, MLB, NBCUniversal, Viacom, Turner, and Univision. The service also allows users to add on HBO, Showtime, Starz, & Cinemax for an additional fee, with access to HBO Go, Showtime on Demand, Starz on Demand, & Max GO included, respectively.
On launch, the service is available on Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, and Chromecast hardware.
Supported DirecTV Now devices include:
DirecTV Now currently offers four programming packages, along with four premium networks.
- † Live programming is only promised in selected markets.
- ‡ NBC Sports and Fox Sports regional networks (including YES Network) depending on region.
- * Free for AT&T wireless subscribers with Unlimited Plus and Unlimited Choice plans.
- Gryta, Thomas (26 November 2016). "As AT&T's DirecTV Now Streaming Service Is Unveiled, Watch the Details". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- "AT&T Sets DirecTV Now Launch Event for Nov. 28". Variety. Variety. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- Lawler, Richard (July 13, 2017). "AT&T's 'next-gen' TV platform rollout will start on DirecTV Now". Engadget. Retrieved July 13, 2017.
- Lieberman, David (July 13, 2017). "AT&T To Offer Cloud-Based DVR To Streaming Services". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 13, 2017.
- Frankel, Daniel (July 13, 2017). "DirecTV Now to finally get cloud DVR as part of AT&T video platform rollout". Fierce Cable. Retrieved July 13, 2017.
- "DIRECTV NOW channel lineups and comparison by package". DirecTVNow.com. AT&T. Retrieved June 1, 2017.
- "DIRECTV NOW is Expanding Their FREE HBO Deal". Cord Cutters News. September 12, 2017. Retrieved September 15, 2017.