Roman Catholic Diocese of Saint Cloud
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Saint Cloud (Latin: Dioecesis Sancti Clodoaldi) is a Roman Catholic diocese in Minnesota, United States. This diocese covers Benton, Douglas, Grant, Isanti, Kanabec, Mille Lacs, Morrison, Otter Tail, Pope, Sherburne, Stearns, Stevens, Todd, Traverse, Wadena, and Wilkin counties. It is a suffragan see of the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis. Its See city is Saint Cloud. The cathedral parish is the Cathedral of St. Mary. On September 20, 2013, Pope Francis named Donald Joseph Kettler bishop.
Diocese of Saint Cloud
Dioecesis Sancti Clodoaldi
Cathedral of St Mary
Coat of arms
|Territory||16 counties across central Minnesota|
|Ecclesiastical province||Saint Paul and Minneapolis|
|Area||12,251 sq mi (31,730 km2)|
|(as of 2010)|
|Established||September 22, 1889 (130 years ago)|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of St. Mary|
|Patron saint||St. Cloud|
|Bishop||Donald Joseph Kettler|
On February 12, 1875 Pope Pius IX established the Vicariate Apostolic of Northern Minnesota. The territory, which had been part of the Diocese of Saint Paul, was evangelized by the missionary priest Father Francis Xavier Pierz. It lost territory when the Diocese of Duluth was established in 1889. On September 22 of the same year the vicariate was elevated by Pope Leo XIII to the Diocese of Saint Cloud.
The patron saint of the Diocese is Clodoald (Saint Cloud), a Merovingian prince who renounced his claims to the throne of the Franks, in favor of religious life. The diocese is named for the City of Saint Cloud, which takes its name from a French city, named for Clodoald.
Claims of sex abuse and bankruptcyEdit
Between April and October of 2016, the Diocese turned over 13,500 documents detailing claims of sex abuse. The Diocese announced on February 28, 2018 that it would file for bankruptcy amid claims of sex abuse. On March 5, 2018, the Diocese of St. Cloud became the fourth diocese in Minnesota to declare bankruptcy after passage of the Minnesota Child Victims Act of 2013, which lifted the civil statute of limitations for child abuse sexual allegation until 2016. On August 22, 2018, Diocese director of communications Joe Towalski announced that the Diocese of Saint Cloud would cooperate with a proposed grand jury investigation to disclose names of accused priests. Later that day, Diocese director of communications Joe Towalski announced that the Diocese of Saint Cloud would cooperate with a proposed grand jury investigation to disclose names of accused priests.
A list of bishops and their terms of service:
Vicar Apostolic of Northern MinnesotaEdit
Bishops of Saint CloudEdit
- John Joseph Frederick Otto Zardetti (1889–1894), appointed Archbishop of Bucharest
- Martin Marty, O.S.B (1895–1896)
- James Trobec (1897–1914)
- Joseph Francis Busch (1915–1953)
- Peter William Bartholome (1953–1968)
- George Henry Speltz (1968–1987)
- Jerome George Hanus, O.S.B. (1987–1994), appointed Coadjutor Archbishop and later Archbishop of Dubuque
- John Francis Kinney (1995–2013)
- Donald Joseph Kettler (2013–present)
Other priests of this diocese who became bishopsEdit
- Catholic Church by country
- Catholic Church in the United States
- Ecclesiastical Province of Saint Paul and Minneapolis
- Global organisation of the Catholic Church
- List of Roman Catholic archdioceses (by country and continent)
- List of Roman Catholic dioceses (alphabetical) (including archdioceses)
- List of Roman Catholic dioceses (structured view) (including archdioceses)
- List of the Catholic dioceses of the United States
- Herbermann, Charles, ed. (1913). . Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company.
- "Diocese of Saint Cloud". Catholic-Hierarchy. Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- "Diocese of Saint Cloud". GCatholic.org. Retrieved 2013-06-04.