The Diocese of Ponta Grossa (Latin: Dioecesis Ponta Grossa) is a territorial division of the Catholic Church in the state of Paraná, Brazil. It was created in 1926 by Papal bull Quum in Dies Numerus of Pope Pius XI, with bula Quum in numerus. It is a suffragan diocese of Archdiocese of Curitiba. The fifth and current Diocesan Bishop is Bishop Sergio Arthur Braschi.
Diocese of Ponta Grossa
Dioecesis Ponta Grossa
Diocese de Ponta Grossa
|Area||23,462 km2 (9,059 sq mi)|
- Catholics (including non-members)
|(as of 2004)|
|Established||10 May 1926 (95 years ago)|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of St Anne in Ponta Grossa|
|Bishop||Sérgio Arthur Braschi|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||José Antônio Peruzzo|
- Antônio Mazzarotto (1929 – 1965)
- Geraldo Luis Claudio Micheleto Pellanda, C.P. (1965 – 1991)
- Murilo Sebastian Ramos Krieger, S.C.I. (1991 – 1998), appointed Archbishop of Maringá, Parana
- Joao Braz de Aviz (1998 – 2003), appointed Archbishop of Maringá, Parana; future Cardinal
- Sérgio Arthur Braschi (2003 – present)
It is the largest centre of vocations throughout the Paraná, responsible for 40% of all priests present in Parana.
- Geraldo Claudio Luiz Micheletto Pellanda, C.P. (1960-1965)
- Getúlio Teixeira Guimarães, S.V.D. (1980-1984), appointed Bishop of Cornélio Procópio, Parana
- José Alves da Costa, D.C. (1986-1991), appointed Bishop of Corumbá, Mato Grosso do Sul
Other priests of this diocese who became bishopsEdit
The Diocese of Ponta Grossa is composed of 13 cities: Carambeí, Castro, Imbituva, Ipiranga, Ponta Grossa, Telêmaco Borba, Ortigueira, Reserva, Tibagi, Ivaí, Piraí do Sul, Teixeira Soares, Fernandes Pinheiro, Ventania, Irati, Guamiranga, and Imbaú.
- David M. Cheney. "Diocese of Ponta Grossa". Catholic-Hierarchy. Retrieved 2008-02-22.
- (in Portuguese) Wikipedia: Diocese de Ponta Grossa
- Diocese Website