This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Dimitrios Papadimoulis (Greek: Δημήτρης Παπαδημούλης; born 21 March 1955) is a Greek politician and Member of the European Parliament (MEP) as a member of the European United Left-Nordic Green Left.
|Thirteenth Vice President of the European Parliament|
|Assumed office |
3 July 2019
|Preceded by||Ulrike Lunacek|
1 July 2014 – 18 January 2017
|Preceded by||Jacek Protasiewicz|
|Succeeded by||Ulrike Lunacek|
|Twelfth Vice President of the European Parliament|
18 January 2017 – 3 July 2019
|Preceded by||Ulrike Lunacek|
|Succeeded by||Marcel Kolaja|
|Member of the European Parliament|
|Assumed office |
1 July 2014
20 July 2004 – 13 July 2009
|Member of the Hellenic Parliament|
4 October 2009 – 2 May 2014
|Born||21 March 1955|
|Political party||Coalition of Left, of Movements|
and Ecology (Before 2012)
Coalition of the Radical Left
|Alma mater||National Technical University of|
Born in 1955 in Athens. Graduated with distinction from Varvakeio Junior High School of Athens and studied with scholarship at the School of Civil Engineering of NTUA (National Technical University of Athens). He has worked as an engineer and business executive (1980-2004). Since the age of 18 and his student days, he participates actively and joins the left movement, where he remains since then.
- Member of the Presidium of the Central Committee of National Student Union of Greece (1976-1979), of the leadership of the Communist youth organization "Rigas Feraios" and later at the leadership of the "Greek Communist Party of the Interior" (Eurocommunist) and political party of E.AR ("Greek Left").
- Member of the Joint Committee who prepared the common Report between E.AR and the Communist Party of Greece (1988), which led to the formation of the Coalition of the Left. - - Member of the elected leading bodies of the Coalition of the Left - since its formation as a single party (1992)- and later SYRIZA.
- He was elected to the European Parliament (2004-2009) and the Greek Parliament (2009-2014).
- Member of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (2009-2014) and Vice President of the Group of the Unified European Left (UEL).
- He was re-elected as MEP in the 2014 European elections. At the suggestion of Alexis Tsipras, he was unanimously elected head of the SYRIZA delegation at the European Parliament.
- In July of 2014, he was elected Vice-President of the European Parliament with a percentage of positive votes 42.1%. He was re-elected Vice President in January 2017 with a new percentage of positive votes measuring 73.5%.
Papadimoulis studied engineering at the National Technical University of Athens.
Papadimoulis was an MEP from 2004 to 2009.
From 2009 to 2014 he was a member of the Greek parliament.
Since 2014, he has again been an MEP.
Vice-President of the European Parliament Head of the SYRIZA delegation Member of the European Parliament's "Progressive Caucus" steering committee
From 2014 he is the only Greek and the only representative from the GUE-NGL political group at the Presidium of the European Parliament. According to the VoteWatch.EU, he is the most influential Greek MEP in the European Parliament.
Born in 1955 in Athens. Graduated with distinction from Varvakeio Junior High School of Athens and studied with scholarship at the School of Civil Engineering of NTUA (National Technical University of Athens). He has worked as an engineer and business executive for 25 years (1980-2004). He is married to Nadia Soubasaki and they have two children.
• His first term in the European Parliament was in 2004-2009, and shortly afterwards he was elected in the Greek Parliament in 2009 and 2012 (2009-2014).
• Ηe was re-elected as an MEP in the 2014 European elections. At the suggestion of Alexis Tsipras, he was unanimously elected head of the SYRIZA delegation at the European Parliament. In July of 2014, he was elected Vice-President of the European Parliament with a percentage of 42.1%. He was re-elected Vice President in January 2017 with a percentage of 73.5%.
• In May 2019, he was elected first, with the highest number of votes from the SYRIZA-Progressive Alliance MEPs and took over as head of the SYRIZA delegation at the European Parliament. In July 2019 he was re-elected Vice President of the European Parliament with a percentage of 60.5%.
He is a regular member of the Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs (ECON) and a substitute member of the Committee on Regional Development (REGI).
Responsibilities as Vice-President of the European Parliament:
- High-level Group on Gender Equality and Diversity, Chair - Working Group on Information and Communication Policy, Member - Chancellery of the European Citizen’s Prize, Member - Replacing the President for European trade unions - Replacing the President for the Council of Europe and the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU)
- D-US, Delegation for relations with the United States - Member
- D-ACP, Delegation to the ACP-EU Joint Parliamentary Assembly - Substitute
Campaign for the Establishment of a United Nations Parliamentary Assembly, SupporterUnited Nations Parliamentary Assembly
- Personal profile of Dimitrios Papadimoulis in the European Parliament's database of members
- Terms of office of Dimitrios Papadimoulis at the Hellenic Parliament (in English)
- Personal website (GR and EN) www.papadimoulis.gr
|This article about a Member of the European Parliament for Greece is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Greek politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|