Dickinson Wright PLLC (formerly Dickinson, Wright, Moon, Van Dusen & Freeman), is a law firm based in Detroit, Michigan. With over 475 lawyers across more than 40 practices, Dickinson Wright serves clients from nineteen offices, six of which are in Michigan. In the 2018 NLJ 500, which is based on the number of lawyers at the firm in 2017, the National Law Journal ranked Dickinson Wright 103rd largest in the United States and largest Michigan based firm.
|No. of offices||19|
|No. of attorneys||over 450|
|Major practice areas||Corporate|
|Key people||Michael C. Hammer, CEO; William T. Burgess, Chairman|
|Founder||Henry Munroe Campbell and Henry Russel|
|Company type||Professional Limited Liability Company|
Dickinson Wright was founded in 1878 by two young lawyers, Henry Munroe Campbell and Henry Russel.
Members of the firm were involved in drafting the state of Michigan's two constitutions in 1908 and 1963.
The firm began expanding outside of Michigan in 1978 with the opening of the firm's Washington, D.C. office. Since then, the firm has added five additional offices in Michigan (Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids, Lansing, Saginaw, and Troy). In the late 2000s, the firm added offices in Toronto, Phoenix, and Nashville. In the late 2000s, the firm added offices in Toronto (ON), Phoenix (AZ), and Nashville (TN). The firm expanded the Toronto office in 2011, the Phoenix office in 2013, and the Las Vegas (NV) office in 2015. The firm opened new offices in Columbus (OH) in 2012, Nashville's Music Row (TN) in 2014, and Lexington (KY) in 2015.  Fort Lauderdale (FL) and Austin (TX) offices were added in 2016. The El Paso (TX) office opened in July of 2017, and the Silicon Valley office in 2018.
Around the late 1980s and early 1990s, because of the increase in Japanese companies in Metro Detroit, Dickinson, Wright, Moon, Van Dusen & Freeman hired a Japanese paralegal and two Japanese lawyers. With its new employees it began publishing a Japanese-language newsletter for Japanese clients and began conducting Japanese-language seminars.
The firm adopted its current name, Dickinson Wright PLLC, when it established itself as a professional limited liability company in January 1998.
Dickinson Wright maintains a diverse range of practice areas, including administrative & regulatory, anti-trust & trade regulation, appellate, automotive, automotive litigation, banking & financial services, bankruptcy, business technology, Canadian & U.S. Litigation Differences, construction, corporate, corporate finance, cyber security, data privacy, emerging business, employee benefits, energy & sustainability, environmental, estate planning & administration, family law, gaming, government relations, healthcare, hospitality, immigration, Indian law, insurance, intellectual property, labor & employment, litigation, media, sports & entertainment, mergers & acquisitions, municipal law & finance, patent litigation, private equity, products liability, real estate, schools & education, securities, taxation and transportation.
- Detroit, Michigan (1878)
- Troy, Michigan (1966)
- Lansing, Michigan (1970)
- Washington, D.C. (1978)
- Grand Rapids, Michigan (1989)
- Ann Arbor, Michigan (2000)
- Toronto, Ontario (2008)
- Expanded through a combination with Aylesworth LLP in 2011.
- Nashville, Tennessee (2009)
- Opened through a combination with Stewart Estes & Donnell PLC.
- Phoenix, Arizona (2009)
- Expanded through a combination with Mariscal, Weeks, McIntyre & Friedlander, P.A. in 2013.
- Las Vegas, Nevada (2010)
- Columbus, Ohio (2012)
- Saginaw, Michigan (2012)
- Nashville, Tennessee (2014)
- Nashville Music Row Office, Dickinson Wright's second Nashville office.
- Lexington, Kentucky (2015)
- Reno, Nevada (2015)
- Ft. Lauderdale, Florida (2016)
- Austin, Texas (2016)
- El Paso, Texas (2017)
- Sunnyvale, California (2018)
Notable lawyers and alumniEdit
- Kerry B. Harvey, former U. S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Kentucky, is a Member, Lexington office.
- Dennis Archer, former mayor of Detroit, current Chairman Emeritus, Detroit office.
- Robert P Young, former Chief Justice of the Michigan Supreme Court.
- Vivian Bercovici, current Canadian ambassador to Israel.
- Marc Bergsman, current judge on the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Mary Beth Kelly, current Justice on the Michigan Supreme Court.
- Susan Bieke Neilson, former judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, former partner.
- John Corbett O'Meara, current federal judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
- Spencer Overton, professor at George Washington University Law School, scholar of election law.
- Henry Saad, current judge of the Michigan Court of Appeals, former partner.
- David Viviano, current Justice on the Michigan Supreme Court.
- Gretchen Whitmer, former Michigan State Senator (D-East Lansing), current Governor of Michigan.
- Brian K. Zahra, current Justice on the Michigan Supreme Court.
- Chambers – Chambers & Partners ranked the firm in 2018’s edition of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in the areas of Banking & Finance, Corporate/M&A, Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation, Gaming & Licensing, General Commercial Litigation, Intellectual Property, Labor & Employment, Media & Entertainment, and Real Estate.
- Best Law Firms – U.S. News-Best Lawyers® Named Dickinson Wright a Tier 1 National “Best Law Firm” in the areas of Commercial Litigation, Construction Law, Real Estate Litigation, and Tax Law in 2019 in addition to giving 116 additional First Tier regional rankings in the various practice areas throughout the country.
- "Organizational Profile of Dickinson Wright". The National Law Review. Retrieved 6 May 2013.
- https://www.law.com/nationallawjournal/2018/06/28/nlj-500-2018-survey-of-the-nations-largest-law-firms/. Missing or empty
- Firm history
- "Our History". Dickinson Wright. Retrieved 19 March 2015.
- Ingrassia and White, p. 336.
- Full list of practice areas
- "Home." () Dickson Wright. March 4, 2000. Retrieved on November 23, 2013. "Dickinson Wright PLLC Counsellors at Law 500 Woodward Avenue, Suite 4000 Detroit, Michigan 48226-3425"
- "Dickinson Wright gaming practice enters Europe with law firm agreement in Bulgaria." Crain's Detroit Business. November 12, 2013. Modified November 13, 2013. Retrieved on November 23, 2013. "Detroit-based law firm Dickinson Wright PLLC announced Tuesday a cooperation agreement with Velchev & Co., a law firm based in Sofia, Bulgaria."
- "Dickinson Wright renews One Detroit Center lease." Crain's Detroit Business. December 3, 2007. Retrieved on November 23, 2013.
- "Tenant Testimonials." (Archive) One Detroit Center. Retrieved on November 23, 2013.
- "DICKINSON WRIGHT OPENS ANN ARBOR OFFICE." () Dickinson Wright. February 7, 2000. Retrieved on November 23, 2013.
- TTAB roster of judges, from TTABlog
- "Governor of Michigan > Home". www.michigan.gov/whitmer/. Retrieved 2019-02-02.