Richard "Dick" Durock (January 18, 1937 – September 17, 2009) was an American actor and stuntman who appeared in over eighty films and over seven hundred television episodes. He was perhaps best known for playing Swamp Thing in both the feature films Swamp Thing and The Return of Swamp Thing and the subsequent television show.
Durock as Jack Casey in Any Which Way You Can (1980)
January 18, 1937
|Died||September 17, 2009 (aged 72)|
Oak Park, California, U.S.
|Resting place||Hungarian Sacred Heart Cemetery, South Bend, Indiana, U.S.|
Durock played a Hulk-like creature on the television series The Incredible Hulk, two-part episode titled "The First", in which it was revealed that David Banner was not the first man to become such a creature; another scientist accidentally created one some thirty years before, also while seeking a way to use radiation to increase strength. Durock also appeared in the Clint Eastwood films The Enforcer (1976) and Any Which Way You Can (1980) as well as Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze (1975), and Falcon Crest in 1983 in the second-season finale as a henchman for The Cartel. Durock also made a brief yet memorable appearance in Rob Reiner's film Stand by Me as a county fair pie-eating champion.
- Death Journey (1976) - Thug
- Trackdown (1976) - Pool player (uncredited)
- The Enforcer (1976) - Karl
- The Nude Bomb (1978) - Jumpmaster
- Coast to Coast (1980) - Gregory
- Any Which Way You Can (1980) - Joe Casey
- The Incredible Hulk (1981, TV Series) - "The First"
- Swamp Thing (1982) - Swamp Thing
- They Call Me Bruce? (1982) - N.Y. Bodyguard #2
- Silverado (1985) - Bar Fighter
- Runaway Train (1985) - Fight Guard (uncredited)
- Raw Deal (1986) - Dingo
- Stand by Me (1986) - Bill Travis
- Street Justice (1987) - Charlie
- Blind Date (1987) - Bouncer
- Remote Control (1988) - Driver #1
- Mr. North (1988) - The Bouncer
- Deadly Stranger (1988) - Cowboy Smitty
- The Return of Swamp Thing (1989) - Swamp Thing
- Swamp Thing: The Series (1990-1993, TV Series) - Swamp Thing
- Delirious (1991) - Riley
- Die Hard with a Vengeance (1995) - Man at Subway Station (uncredited)
- The Hunted (1998) - Mack the Henchman (final film role)
- Blasko, Erin (2009-09-24). "South Bend native, 'Swamp Thing' actor Dick Durock fondly recalled". South Bend Tribune. Retrieved 2009-09-24.[permanent dead link]
- "Richard Durock". South Bend Tribune. 2009-09-24. Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- RIP Dick Durock