Diana Maddock, Baroness Maddock
The Baroness Maddock
Baroness Maddock's official parliamentary photo
|President of the Liberal Democrats|
1 January 1999 – 31 December 2000
|Preceded by||Robert Maclennan|
|Succeeded by||Navnit Dholakia|
|Member of the House of Lords|
|Assumed office |
30 October 1997
|Member of Parliament|
29 July 1993 – 8 April 1997
|Preceded by||Robert Adley|
|Succeeded by||Christopher Chope|
|Born||19 May 1945|
|Political party||Liberal Democrat|
|Spouse(s)||Lord Beith (2001-)|
Education and early careerEdit
Diana Maddock was educated at Shenstone Training College and Portsmouth Polytechnic (now the University of Portsmouth) and was a teacher of English as a foreign language until starting a family and becoming involved in politics in the mid-1970s.
Maddock joined the Liberal Party in 1976, and was elected to Southampton City Council in 1984. During this time, she was leader of the Liberal Democrat group on the council. She unsuccessfully contested Southampton Test at the 1992 general election, coming third. She was elected as Member of Parliament for Christchurch at a by-election in 1993 that was caused by the death of Robert Adley, but lost the seat at the 1997 election to the Conservative candidate Christopher Chope.
- 1945–1966: Miss Diana Derbyshire
- 1966–1997: Mrs Robert Frank Maddock
- 1997–2001: The Right Honourable The Baroness Maddock
- 2001–2008: The Right Honourable The Baroness Maddock, Mrs Beith
- 2008–present: The Right Honourable The Baroness Maddock, Lady Beith
- "Biography for Baroness Maddock". MyParliament.
- Who's Who (2016)
- "Baroness Maddock". UK Parliament.
- "No. 54938". The London Gazette. 4 November 1997. p. 12377.
- "Party President". Official Liberal Democrat Website. Archived from the original on 25 August 2013. Retrieved 7 August 2013.
- "Chapter 23 Northumberland". Retrieved 7 August 2013.
- "Berwick-Upon-Tweed Borough Council Election Results 1973-2007" (PDF). The Elections Centre.
- "Local Election Results 2008 - Northumberland". Local Elections Archive Project.
- "Beith to marry Maddock". BBC News. 31 October 2000.
- "About Alan Beith". berwicklibdems.org.uk. Retrieved 19 March 2015.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Diana Maddock
- Baroness Maddock profile at the site of Liberal Democrats
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for Christchurch
|Party political offices|
| President of the Liberal Democrats