Dial Square F.C.
Dial Square Football Club is an English football club based in Addlestone, Surrey, England. It was founded as a protest club by fans of the Premier League team Arsenal, who had become disillusioned with the club’s direction under the ownership of the Kroenke Sports & Entertainment group. They play in the Guildford & Woking Alliance League Premier Division.
|Full name||Dial Square Football Club|
|Founded||7 January 2020|
Addlestone, Surrey, England
|League||Guildford & Woking Alliance League Premier Division|
When Arsenal were founded in 1886, they played their first match as "Dial Square" before becoming Arsenal and moving to Highbury. In January 2020, Arsenal fan Stuart Morgan announced the founding of Dial Square as a breakaway club, following protests against and disillusionment with Stan Kroenke’s ownership, as well as perceived poor results. Morgan, a former director of Camberley Town, said that Dial Square was founded following the success of other fan-led phoenix clubs such as AFC Wimbledon and FC United of Manchester. The club announced they had agreed a groundshare agreement with Abbey Rangers in Addlestone, Surrey for their first season, but stated that their eventual goal would be to move the club to a purpose built ground in Woolwich, where Arsenal were originally founded, and to eventually reach the English Football League.
Despite initial plans to apply for entry into the Combined Counties Football League, they eventually joined the Guildford & Woking Alliance League for their first league campaign in 2020–21. Burgundy was adopted as colour of the club’s home shirt in reference to Arsenal’s original colours, while the sundial and oaks featured in the crest referred to the Royal Oak pub in which Arsenal were originally founded. In April 2021, Dial Square received an increase in membership following protests against the proposed European Super League.
- "DIAL SQUARE FOOTBALL CLUB LTD". Companies House. Retrieved 21 July 2021.
- "'Dial Square Football Club Ltd' Incorporation Letter" (PDF). Dial Square F.C. Retrieved 21 July 2021.
- "New Arsenal phoenix venture Dial Square FC kicking off next season". The Non League Paper. 28 January 2020. Retrieved 20 April 2021.
- Dutton, Tom (24 January 2020). "Arsenal fans form breakaway club Dial Square FC based in Surrey". Evening Standard. Retrieved 20 April 2021.
- "Guildford & Woking Alliance Football League". FA Full-Time. Retrieved 25 August 2021.
- McNicholas, James. "Exclusive: Disgruntled Arsenal fans to launch breakaway phoenix club based in Surrey – Dial Square FC". The Athletic. Retrieved 20 April 2021.
- "阿森纳闹分裂？枪迷另组新队征战低级联赛 | Goal.com". Goal.com (in Chinese). Retrieved 20 April 2021.
- "Dial Square FC – new good old Arsenal? Disappointed fans form their own club". Tribuna.com. Retrieved 20 April 2021.
- McNicholas, James (25 April 2021). "Arsenal's Super League role leads to flood of applications for 'phoenix club' Dial Square". The Athletic. Retrieved 30 April 2021.