Deyi Secondary School
This article does not cite any sources. (September 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Deyi Secondary School
Sekolah Menengah Deyi
|1 Ang Mo Kio Street 42, 569277
Ang Mo Kio
|Motto||Dedication & Integrity|
|Principal||Ms Lim Ai Poo|
Founded in 1981, Deyi Secondary School is remarked for its Niche Development in Performing Arts.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (September 2017)
The school first began operations in 1980 as Teck Ghee Secondary School, with about 1700 students. It was located at a then-new 3.45 hectares (8.5 acres) campus along Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8 built at a cost of S$4.6 million. A ceramic studio and a kiln were constructed in 1981.
The school changed its name to Deyi Secondary School in 1982.
|Name of principal||Years served|
|Mr Wu Tat Huan||1980 - 1982|
|Mr Choy Say Chin||1982 - 1990|
|Mdm Goh Hwee Choo||1991 - 1995|
|Mdm Helen Choo Chien Chen||1995 - 1997|
|Mdm Ester Mok||1997 - 1999|
|Mr Yap Wah Choo||1999 - 2003|
|Mdm Grace Chua||2003 - 2009|
|Mrs Linda Chan||2009 - 2015|
|Mrs Lim Ai Poo||2016–Present|
Identity & cultureEdit
Dedication & Integrity
Being a government secondary school, Deyi Secondary School offers three academic streams, namely the four-year Express course, as well as the Normal Course, comprising Normal (Academic) and Normal (Technical) academic tracks.
O Level Express CourseEdit
The examinable academic subjects for Singapore-Cambridge GCE Ordinary Level offered by Deyi Secondary School for upper secondary level (via. streaming in secondary 2 level), as of 2017, are listed below.
- Subjects indicated with ' * ' are mandatory subjects.
- All students in Singapore are required to undertake a Mother Tongue Language as an examinable subject, as indicated by ' ^ '.
- "SPA" in Pure Science subjects refers to the incorporation of School-based Science Practical Assessment, which 20% of the subject result in the national examination are determined by school-based practical examinations, supervised by the Singapore Examinations and Assessment Board. The SPA Assessment has been replaced by one Practical Assessment in the 2018 O Levels.
|Sciences||Language & Hunanities||Arts & Aesthetics|
The Normal Course is a nationwide 4-year programme leading to the Singapore-Cambridge GCE Normal Level examination, which runs either the Normal (Academic) curriculum or Normal (Technical) curriculum, abbreviated as N(A) and N(T) respectively.
Normal (Academic) CourseEdit
- English Language
- Mother Tongue Language
- Combined Humanities
A 5th year leading to the Singapore-Cambridge GCE Ordinary Level examination is available to N(A) students who perform well in their Singapore-Cambridge GCE Normal Level examination. Students can move from one course to another based on their performance and the assessment of the school principal and teachers.
Normal (Technical) CourseEdit
The Normal (Technical) course prepares students for a technical-vocational education at the Institute of Technical Education. Students will offer 5-7 subjects in the Singapore-Cambridge GCE Normal Level examination. The curriculum is tailored towards strengthening students’ proficiency in English and Mathematics. Students take English Language, Mathematics, Basic Mother Tongue and Computer Applications as compulsory subjects.
Co-curricular activities (CCAs)Edit
Deyi Secondary School has a significant Co-curricular Activities (CCA) programme, with a total of about 18 CCAs, consisting of visual & performing arts group, uniformed groups and sports & clubs.
The school's performing arts have earned top places in several inter-school competitions, which includes the Drama Club, Movement and Dance, School Band (Military) and Choir.
The School Band (Military) has won the Gold with Honours, Best Drum Major and Best Display Band of the Year in 2008 and 2010.
List Of Co-Curricular Activities offered by Deyi Secondary School:
|Visual & Performing Arts Group||Uniformed Groups||Sports & Clubs|
|Art Club||Girl Guides||Badminton (Boys)|
|Choir||National Cadet Corps Land (NCC Land)||Basketball (Girls)|
|Drama Club||National Police Cadet Corps (NPCC)||Volleyball (Boys)|
|Movement & Dance (M&D)||St John Brigade||Football (Girls)|
|School Band (Military)||Track & Field (Boys & Girls)|
|Outdoor Activities Club (ODAC)|
|Information Technology Club (IT Club)|
- "School gets an art studio". New Nation. 5 December 1980. Retrieved 2 December 2017 – via NewspaperSG.
- "$4.6m new school in Ang Mo Kio". The Straits Times. 25 December 2017. Retrieved 2 December 2017 – via NewspaperSG.
- "Sevens". The Straits Times. 28 April 1982. Retrieved 2 December 2017 – via NewspaperSG.
- "Express Course Curriculum". www.moe.gov.sg. Retrieved 2017-09-14.
- "School Information Service". Ministry of Education, Singapore. Ministry of Education, Singapore. Retrieved 11 June 2016.
- "GCE O-Level Syllabuses Examined in 2018". Singapore Examinations and Assessment Board (SEAB). Retrieved 2017-04-16.
- "Secondary School Courses". www.moe.gov.sg. Retrieved 2017-09-14.
- "Normal Course Curriculum". www.moe.gov.sg. Retrieved 2017-09-14.