Devata is a 1941 Telugu-language drama film directed by B. N. Reddy. The huge success of this film lead to the making of more films with the same title in 1964 by B. Padmanabham and in 1982 by D. Ramanaidu. The film was remade in Malayalam as Pavappettaval.
|Directed by||B. N. Reddy|
|Written by||Samudrala Sr.|
|Story by||K. Ramnoth|
|Produced by||Moola Narayana Swamy|
B. N. Reddy
|Starring||Chittor V. Nagaiah|
C. H. Narayana Rao
|Music by||Chittor V. Nagaiah|
|4 July 1941|
Venugopala Murthy returns to his native village from England after passing law school. His mother Mangamma and sister Seetha are very happy. Venu is attracted towards Lakshmi, daughter of Venkaiah, who works as servant in the family. He takes advantage of the sleeping Lakshmi and promises to marry her. He leaves to the city and stays with his uncle Balaramaiah. Venu marries his daughter Vimala. Mangamma and Seetha bring the pregnant Lakshmi to the city. Venu refuses to accept her and offers some money to Lakshmi. She leaves the house when her father arranges for the marriage. She take refuge with the Haridasu family and delivers a child. Meanwhile, Vimala elopes with Sukumar. Mangamma sends Venu to bring back Lakshmi. After several hardships, Lakshmi reunites with Venu.
- Chittor V. Nagaiah as Venugopala Murthy
- Kumari as Lakshmi, daughter of Venkaiah
- Mudigonda Lingamurthy as Venkaiah
- Bezawada Rajarathnam as Vimala, daughter of Balaramiah
- Goberu Subba Rao as Balaramaiah, uncle of Venu
- C. H. Narayana Rao as Sukumar
- Tanguturi Suryakumari as Seeta, sister of Venu
- Master Ashwathama as Rangadu
- Parvathi Bai as Mangamma, mother of Venu
- R. Satyanarayana
- "Adigo Andiyala Ravali" - Bezawada Rajaratnam
- "Bhajane Modajanakamura" - G. Vishweswaramma and Suryakumari
- "Ee Vasanthamu Nityamu Kadoyi" - M. S. Rama Rao
- "Enno Nomulu Nochinagani" - G. Vishweswaramma
- "Evaru Makinka Saati" - Bezawada Rajaratnam
- "Jagela Verapela Travumu" - Bezawada Rajaratnam
- "Kroora Karmamulu Neraka Chesiti" - G. Vishweswaramma and Suryakumari
- "Lokamantha Lobhule Kanare" - Ashwathama
- "Nijamo Kado Yamuna Thatilo" - Bezawada Rajaratnam
- "Oogeda Uyyala" - Tanguturi Suryakumari
- "Rade Cheli Nammarade Cheli" - Bezawada Rajaratnam
- "Raitu Janamula Panduga" - Tanguturi Suryakumari group
- "Rave Rave Bangaru Papa" - Nagaiah, Kumari, Suryakumari
- "Vendi Kanchalalo" - Tanguturi Suryakumari
- Devata (1941) by M. L. Narasimham, Blast from the past, The Hindu, 16 October 2011.
- Vijayakumar, B. (7 June 2015). "Pavappettaval: 1967". The Hindu.
- Lyrical details of Devata film at Ghantasala Galamrutamu.