Destroid is a dubstep supergroup and live dubstep band consisting of Excision (production and midi-guitars), Downlink (production and midi-guitars), and Pendulum drummer KJ Sawka, with collaboration from Space Laces and Ajapai. The band released two singles and two albums on their independent label, Destroid Music. Destroid also performs live music shows.
|Origin||Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada|
|Genres||Live dubstep, dubstep, drum & bass, metalstep, drumstep|
|Associated acts||Pendulum, Space Laces, Ajapai, Korn|
Destroid promotes their dubstep music with online videos, social media marketing, and online graphic novels and a web page called "The Elevated", using the tagline "elevate your existence".
Destroid was formed after several years of Excision's North American tours, as well as collaborations with Downlink for nu-metal band Korn. Excision and Downlink began work on the initial music production for Destroid, and then enlisted Pendulum's KJ Sawka to round out the line up.
In October 2012, Excision released his Shambhala 2012 dj mix which included six Destroid songs. To promote the release, a video, The Destroid Existence Conspiracy, was created by videographer Mike Diva. The group also published on their website an eight-page graphic novel; the plot parallels events depicted in the Destroid Existence Conspiracy video. The artwork for the graphic novel was created by Steven Juliano, it was written and directed by Devin Taylor, and the cover artwork is credited to both Juliano and Taylor.
Destroid's first single "Raise Your Fist" was released on November 15, 2012 as a free download on the band's website using a "pay with a tweet" promotion that gave fans a free mp3 in exchange for sharing the link on their Twitter or Facebook page.
On November 30, 2012 "Raise Your Fist" was released on Beatport.com and iTunes, reaching #2 on Beatport's Top Dubstep 100 Chart, and #90 on the Top 100 overall chart. Songs available for purchase on Beatport and iTunes.
Destroid's live show premiered on May 31, 2013 in San Francisco at The Warfield. That year the band also performed in Baltimore at the Moonrise Festival and in Detroit at the Orion Festival and just outside Albany, NY at Camp Bisco 12 (2013).
In 2014 Destroid released a follow-up album. The Invasion Remixes. Also that year the band performed at the Safe in Sound Festival.
In September 2017, the group performed at Excision's first music festival, Lost Lands in Ohio. During the set, one of the two volcanos by the stage caught fire resulting in the stage to be temporarily shut down. This is not the first time Excision has caught the stage on fire.
- "Destroid 1. Raise Your Fist" - Produced by Excision, Downlink, Space Laces - Destroid Music - November 30, 2012
- "Destroid 9. Blast Off" - Produced by Excision, Ajapai - Destroid Music - January 21, 2013
- "Destroid 11. Get Stupid" - Produced by Excision, Space Laces - Destroid Music - November 26, 2013
Songs appearing on the Excision Shambhala 2012 mix:
- "Destroid 1. Raise Your Fist" - Produced by Excision, Downlink, Space Laces
- "Destroid 2. Wasteland" - Produced by Excision, Downlink, Space Laces
- "Destroid 3. Crusaders" - Produced by Excision, Downlink, Space Laces
- "Destroid 4. Flip The Switch" - Produced by Excision
- "Destroid 5. Activation" - Produced by Downlink
- "Destroid 6. Put It Down" - Produced by Excision & Bassnectar
- "Listen to Destroid’s New Bonecrusher, ‘Blast Off’ featuring Ajapai", Rave Rafting, 2013 01 23
- "Excision, Downlink, Space Laces (Destroid) – Wasteland, The_Path_of_Totality.". Dubsteppers
- "Downlink DESTROYS Charlotte (Concert Review!)". The Charlotte Sessions, May 9, 2015
- "Destroid Makes Grand Debut: Greatest (Live) Dubstep Production (Video)". L4LM. 2013-06-04. Retrieved 2018-07-02.
- "Custom MIDI Guitar Is Destroid’s Secret Weapon for Playing Live Dubstep". Bigshot Magazine, June 10, 2013.
- Destroid (2012-10-31), Destroid existence conspiracy, retrieved 2018-07-02
- "DESTROID 1 RAISE YOUR FIST (ORIGINAL MIX) Beatporttop.com". Beatport.com. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- "Destroid Music songs on Beatport.com". Beatport.com. Retrieved 13 April 2013.
- "ALBUM REVIEW: Destroid - The Invasion". Live for Live Music, Justin Charles 05/01/2013.
- " Destroid – The Invasion | Album Reviews". Consequence of Sound. Derek Staples on May 10, 2013
- "KJ SAWKA of DESTROID Exclusive Interview ". Soundcrave Magazine. September 7, 2013
- "Event Review: Destroid invades San Francisco". EDMTunes, James Brannigan June 7, 2013
- "Photos: Destroid at The Warfield". SF Station – San Francisco's City Guide. Retrieved 2018-07-02.
- "Steez Promo unveils monster Moonrise Festival lineup, June 8–9 in Baltimore, MD". TheUntz. Retrieved 13 April 2013.
- "Safe In Sound Festival Delivers On Every Level [Event Review]". That Drop, Oct 14, 2014
- "See Photos From Ultra Music Festival 2016 and Miami Music Week". Billboard. 3/22/2016
- "Ultra Music Festival Continues to Reign Supreme (Event Review)". Raver Rafting, April 13, 2016 By Brian Schultz
- "Destroid: The Invasion Review". The Untz, May 8, 2013 By: Jared Vinik
- "REVIEW: DESTROID - THE INVASION REMIXES" Archived 2016-08-22 at the Wayback Machine. Parallel Music UK. 2014 05 27
- "Destroid – The Invasion (Album Review)" | Salacious Sound. May 7, 2013.