Destiny Cable (formerly Global Destiny Cable and stylized as DESTINY CABLE) is a direct-to-home cable television subscription service based in Quezon City. Destiny Cable is the 2nd largest cable TV provider in the Philippines. It is owned by Sky Cable Corporation.
|Founded||January 1995 as Destiny Cable|
Merger entity: Global Destiny Cable (2003–2012)
|Headquarters||6th Floor, ELJ Communications Center, ABS-CBN Broadcasting Center, Mother Ignacia Ave., Diliman, Quezon City|
|Services||Analog and digital cable television, Pay per view|
|Owner||Sky Cable Corporation|
In January 1995, the Philippines’ commission attached to the Department of Transportation and Communications, the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) granted a certificate of public convenience and necessity with provisional authority to install, operate and maintain telecommunications, broadcast and cable antenna television services to Destiny Cable Inc. and allowed to provide cable television services to Metro Manila and nearby municipalities, cities and provinces.
Destiny Cable Inc. embarked on marketing promotion through Solid Group Inc. by offering bundled services.
Merger with Global CableEdit
On November 17, 2000, however, Global Cable, Inc. (GCI) and Destiny Cable, Inc. (DCI) announced that both companies had entered an agreement on merging the television operations of the two companies, of which operates the cable providers; Global Cable and Destiny Cable.
In November 2000 Destiny Cable formed a partnership with Global Cable to further strengthen and systematize its cable television ventures. However, it was only on late 2003 that the corporate name was changed to Global Destiny Cable.
Global Destiny Cable is perceived to be the closest competitor of Sky Cable the Philippines' largest cable TV company in Metro Manila. Both have their own associates all over the country and both offer high-speed cable Internet service to its respective subscribers.
Sale to Sky CableEdit
On May 2, 2012, Sky Cable Corporation eventually acquired the assets of Global Destiny Cable through its parent, Destiny Cable, Inc. at the cost of P3.5 billion in order to improve services to customers of Destiny Cable, UniCable and MyDestiny broadband Internet.
Global Destiny Cable has been reverted to Destiny Cable after separation from Global Cable. On November 15, 2012 Destiny Cable headquarters moved from Solid House Building in Makati City to Sky Cable's headquarters in Quezon City. The NTC consummated Sky's acquisition on December 18, 2012.
- Global Destiny History Archived January 25, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- Hebrona Jr., Alfredo P. (1999-11-17). "Q&A With The Cable Guy". BusinessWorld. Archived from the original on 2007-04-19.
- "Business in Asia Today". AsiaTimes. 2000-04-01.
- Lectura, Lenie (2007-12-25). "Global Destiny lacks proof it has money". BusinessMirror. Archived from the original on 2007-12-30.
- The Philippine Broadcast Equipment Market, March 2006[permanent dead link], CommerceCan
- "Lopez buys out Sun Cable, prepares for Sky Cable share sale". BusinessWorld. 2008-06-16.[permanent dead link]
- "Timeline of Significant Events in Philippine Cyberage". Philippine Communication Centrum Foundation. Asian Institute of Journalism and Communication. Archived from the original on 2016-04-13.
- "Sky Cable acquires Destiny Cable, Solid Broadband". InterAksyon. 2012-05-13. Archived from the original on 2012-06-17. Retrieved 2012-05-14.