Sandlin in 2014
|Born||Destin Wilson Sandlin
1981 (age 36–37)
|Alma mater||University of Alabama
University of Alabama, Huntsville
|Known for||Educational YouTube videos|
Sandlin's YouTube channel garners over 5 million subscribers and over 425 million views. In early 2016, Sandlin was one of three YouTube personalities chosen to conduct a one-on-one interview with then-president Barack Obama after his final State of the Union address. The interviews were sponsored by Google and were part of a White House initiative to reach Millennial audiences.
On April 28, 2016, Sandlin started a second YouTube channel called The Sound Traveler, in which he employs 3D audio and GoPro footage to capture and convey the experience of visiting the world's most interesting places.
On February 10, 2017 Sandlin started a podcast with his friend, Matt Whitman, called No Dumb Questions, in which the two discuss an assortment of topics and cover it from different perspectives.
Sandlin has a B.S. in mechanical engineering from the University of Alabama and an M.S. in aerospace engineering from the University of Alabama in Huntsville. While an undergraduate, he was awarded the University of Alabama's Outstanding Senior Award. He is a full-time Missile Flight Test Engineer at Redstone Arsenal.
A resident of Huntsville, Alabama, Destin is married with four children (two daughters and two sons). Since 2012 Sandlin has supported and partnered with 'Not Forgotten', a charity that cares for orphaned boys in Peru.
Smarter Every DayEdit
Sandlin began posting educational videos in 2007, and his first video to reach one million views cleared that milestone on July 10, 2009. The video was about chicken head tracking using chickens that Destin bought for his father as a demonstration. Because of its popularity that video retroactively had the Smarter Every Day label added to it. Mercedes-Benz capitalized on the popularity of this video with their "MAGIC BODY CONTROL TV commercial Chicken".
Sandlin formally launched Smarter Every Day on Apr 24, 2011 with a video titled "Detonation vs Deflagration - Smarter Every Day 1," which became the title for subsequent videos and the sole focus of his YouTube channel.
Episodes of Smarter Every Day revolve around scientific exploration and discovery and feature Sandlin as host and narrator. Sandlin is fascinated by flight and space, and his Smarter Every Day video library reflects that. However, his videos explore a wide array of other topics including the effects of hypoxia on the human brain, the curiously sturdy Prince Rupert's drop, the physics of potato guns, and a nearly-impossible to ride bicycle that turns the opposite direction of its handle bars.
As of August 2017, the channel has over 5 million subscribers and over 390 million views.
|Channel Subscribers||5 500 000+|
|Total Channel Views||453 000 000+|
|# of videos with >1M views||80|
|# of videos with <1M and >500K views||37|
|Total # of videos||276|
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived (PDF) from the original on 2015-01-07. Retrieved 2015-01-07.
- "SmarterEveryDay". YouTube. Archived from the original on 2015-01-05.
- "Huntsville engineer's YouTube channel, 'Smarter Every Day,' in running for best entertaining, educational videos". AL.com. Archived from the original on 2014-09-14.
- ""Smarter Every Day" teaches science lesson by blowing things up". cbsnews.com. 25 April 2011. Archived from the original on 14 September 2014.
- Martin, Rachel (January 17, 2016). "YouTube Star Talks Space With President Obama". NPR. Archived from the original on January 31, 2016.
- P. Claire Dodson (January 12, 2016). "Meet The YouTubers Interviewing President Obama After The State Of The Union Address". Fast Company. Archived from the original on February 1, 2016.
- "No Dumb Questions". iTunes. 14 February 2017. Archived from the original on 15 February 2017.
- "UAH - News". uah.edu. Archived from the original on 2015-01-08.
- "Huntsville missile engineer in YouTube spotlight for Smarter Every Day channel". AL.com. Archived from the original on 2014-10-18.
- "Test engineer making people Smarter Every Day". The Redstone Rocket.
- 'Smarter Every Day' host Destin Sandlin to interview President Obama | Tech Alabama | waaytv.com Retrieved 2016-11-19.
- Sandlin, Destin. "WE HAD A BABY!! - Smarter Every Day 132". YouTube. Archived from the original on 4 April 2015. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- Sandlin, Destin. "Chicken Head Tracking - Smarter Every Day". YouTube. Archived from the original on 6 January 2015. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "Mercedes Benz TV MAGIC BODY CONTROL TV commercial Chicken". YouTube. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- Sandlin, Destin. "Detonation vs Deflagration - Smarter Every Day 1". YouTube. Archived from the original on 16 December 2014. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "SmarterEveryDay". YouTube. Archived from the original on 2014-12-16.
- "About". SocialBlade. Archived from the original on 17 August 2017. Retrieved 17 June 2017.
- "Videos". YouTube. Archived from the original on 3 May 2015. Retrieved 15 March 2016.