This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014)
|Origin||Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada|
|Years active||2001–2004, 2013–present|
|Past members||Dagan Harding |
Despistado released their first EP, The Emergency Response, in 2002 (produced by David j Taylor); it was subsequently re-released in 2004 on Jade Tree Records. Widely hyped as a "next big thing", the band's single "A Stirstick's Prediction" was used in a commercial for T-Mobile. In 2004, "A Stirstick's Prediction" was contributed to the compilation album "Take Action! Vol 4".
After many cross-Canada tours in 2004 which reportedly left the band exhausted and riven by personal tensions, they returned home to prepare for an international tour in the fall; due to family obligations, Passmore declined to participate in the fall tour through the United States with The Weakerthans, and was temporarily replaced by Robin Sernich. By Christmas the band had broken up. Their full-length album The People of and Their Verses, completed before the band's breakup, was subsequently released on Jade Tree in 2005.
Passmore is currently in the bands Sylvie and Rah Rah. Dagan Harding is preparing to release his second solo album, as well as playing with Thorseth in the band Geronimo throughout the late 2000s. Schwartz played with Anatta prior to that band's breakup and currently plays in the band Porticoast.
The band undertook a brief reunion tour in 2009. They again reunited in 2013 for a tour of Western Canada, performing some new material during the latter tour. The band planned for a vinyl reissue of The People of and Their Verses, and have acknowledged but not yet officially confirmed to the media the possibility of recording a new album in the future.
- The Emergency Response (2002)
- The People of and Their Verses (2005)
- "Despistado Reunite for Western Canadian Tour, Hint at New Material". Exclaim!, July 12, 2013.
- "Despistado Bassist Muses About What Could Have Been". Chart, April 5, 2005.
- "Tucked away Exchange fosters generations of Sask. artists"
- "The triumphant return of Regina’s Despistado". Ominocity, April 1, 2014.
- "Despistado represent Jade Tree across Canada". Chart, May 10, 2004.