Desert Ridge High School
|Desert Ridge High School|
Home of the Jaguars
10045 E. Madero Ave.
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Gilbert Public Schools|
|Faculty||118.12 (on an FTE basis) |
|Number of students||2,626 (2017-18)|
|Student to teacher ratio||22.42|
|Color(s)||Red and black|
In 2005 chemistry and engineering teacher Sylvia Grace was honored with a $25,000 Milken National Educator Award. Through her involvement with Project Lead the Way, which she brought to Desert Ridge, Grace distinguished herself as a teacher who is intelligent, patient, and has a sense of humor, all of the qualities needed to win such an award. She was the only Arizona recipient of the award among the 100 educators honored nationwide.
In 2007 the DRHS Drama Department's production of The Odd Couple was selected to go the Arizona Thespian Society's Annual State Conference as a main stage performance, to be performed in front of the estimated 1,900 thespians attending the event in November. In spring 2007 they had a production of the musical Footloose, and their production of Romeo and Juliet debuted on April 3, 2008.
Desert Ridge's marching band is ranked among the top 5 Division III bands in the state, scoring a 69.6 at the 2009 State Marching Festival, and a 68.00 at the 2010 State Marching Festival. With this, the band also is in the top 3 best 3A bands in the state in 2018, scoring a 73.2625 at the AZMBA State Championships, and the top 10 Division 2 bands in the ABODA circuit. 
Desert Ridge also holds 2 baseball state championship titles.
Desert Ridge High School has a 25% participation rate for AP Tests and with a college-ready index rating of 16.7 out of 100.
- "Desert Ridge High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved November 25, 2019.
- "Desert Ridge High School Report Card 2005-2006" (PDF). Retrieved 2006-09-13.
- Parker, Ray (2005-12-10). "Desert Ridge teacher wins U.S. award: $25K Milken". Arizona Republic. Retrieved 2006-11-21.
- 2010 Arizona State Marching Band Festival report Archived 2011-07-24 at the Wayback Machine from the Festival Results Archived 2010-09-13 at the Wayback Machine page on the Arizona Band and Orchestra Directors Association site.
- "Alex Barrett" (PDF). grfx.cstv.com. Retrieved October 8, 2017.
- "Desert Ridge (Mesa, Ariz.) ace Jake Barrett has been known to punish himself with grueling runs following a loss - so it's a good thing he wins nearly every time out. - ESPN". Espn.go.com. June 3, 2009. Retrieved November 15, 2013.