Des van Jaarsveldt
|Birth name||Desmond Charles van Jaarsveldt|
|Date of birth||31 March 1929|
|Place of birth||Bulawayo, Rhodesia|
|School||Plumtree School, Rhodesia|
|Rugby union career|
Born in Bulawayo in Southern Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe), Desmond Charles van Jaarsveldt was educated at Plumtree School. He made his debut for Southern Rhodesia as a wing against Northern Transvaal in 1947 at the age of eighteen, scoring all Rhodesia's 3 points. He played 62 times for Rhodesia, initially on the wing but later moving to the flank, and scored 17 tries. He captained the side 19 times between 1958 and 1962.
In 1959 he was selected as Captain for the Rest of South Africa against the Currie Cup champions, Western Province. He captained the Springboks in an 18–10 victory over Scotland at Port Elizabeth in 1960.
He was awarded an MBE in 1962. He also coached the Rhodesian team from 1967 to 1970 and was president of the Rhodesia RFU in 1979. He also represented Southern Rhodesia as a heavyweight boxer in the 1950 South African Championships.
|No.||Opponents||Results (RSA 1st)||Position||Tries||Dates||Venue|
|1.||Scotland||18–10||Flank (c)||1||30 April 1960||Boet Erasmus Stadium, Port Elizabeth|
- "Desmond Charles van Jaarsveldt". ESPN scrum. Retrieved 27 December 2015.
- "Scotland tour 1960". ESPN.com. Retrieved 27 December 2015.
- Glen Byrom, ed. (1980), Rhodesian Sports Profiles 1907- 1979, Bulawayo: Books of Zimbabwe, pp. 24–27.
- "The London Gazette - Supplement: 42870 Page: 24". The London Gazette. Government of the United Kingdom. 28 December 1962. Retrieved 3 January 2016.
- "monthly sitrep" (PDF). Rhodesian Services Association Incorporated. July 2011. p. 5.
|Rugby Union Captain|
| Springbok Captain
|This South Africa rugby union biography is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|