Derrick O'Connor (3 January 1941 – 29 June 2018) was an Irish theatre and character actor.
|Died||29 June 2018 (aged 77)|
O'Connor was best known for his performance as South African mercenary Pieter Vorstedt in Lethal Weapon 2 and for his roles in three Terry Gilliam films. He starred as Jack Stone in The Professionals episode "You'll be Alright". He was a member of the Royal Shakespeare Company.
Gilliam, who directed O'Connor in three films, had noted in his audio commentaries that O'Connor seemed to have a habit of relinquishing most of his dialogue in favour of physical character humour. Notable examples include Time Bandits, in which his character's dialogue was resorted to simple grunts while the Maid Marian character "translated" for him and in Brazil, in which O'Connor scrapped all of his character's dialogue and simply repeated the dialogue of Bob Hoskins' character.
He died on 29 June 2018 of pneumonia in Santa Barbara, California at the age of 77.
|1971||The Blood on Satan's Claw||Member of Mob Chasing Margaret||Uncredited|
|1973||The Final Programme||Frank|
|1974||Butley||Irishman in pub||Uncredited|
|1977||Jabberwocky||Flying Hogfish Peasant|
|1978||On a Paving Stone Mounted|
|1980||Fox||Ray Fox||TV Series|
|1980||Bloody Kids||Detective Ritchie||TV movie|
|1980||Hawk the Slayer||Ralf|
|1981||Time Bandits||Robber Leader|
|1982||The Bell||Noel Spens||TV series|
|1982||The Missionary||Gym Trainer|
|1984||Pope John Paul II||Swiacki||TV movie|
|1987||Hope and Glory||Mac|
|1989||Lethal Weapon 2||Pieter Vorstedt|
|1993||Stark||Zimmerman||TV Mini-Series, 3 episodes|
|1995||Ghosts||Jack Rudkin||Episode: " I'll Be Watching You"|
|1995||How to Make an American Quilt||Dean Reed|
|1998||Deep Rising||Captain H.W. Atherton|
|1999||End of Days||Thomas Aquinas|
|2006||Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest||Very Old Man|
|2007||The Blue Hour||Humphrey|
|2014||Man from Reno||Stephen Luft|
|2016||Pushing Dead||Sidewalk Salesman|
- "Obituary: Derrick O'Connor, Hollywood hard man who honed his skills on the Edinburgh stage". The Scotsman. Johnston Publishing Ltd. 13 July 2018. Retrieved 28 July 2018.
- "Derrick O'Connor". BFI.
- "You'll Be Alright (1982)". BFI.
- McNary, Dave (3 July 2018). "Irish Character Actor Derrick O'Connor Dies at 77". Variety. Penske Business Media, LLC. Retrieved 4 January 2019.
- Petski, Denise (3 July 2018). "Derrick O'Connor Dies: 'Lethal Weapon 2', 'End Of Days' Actor Was 77". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media, LLC. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- Barnes, Mike (3 July 2018). "Derrick O'Connor, Villain in 'Lethal Weapon 2,' Dies at 77". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 4 January 2019.