|No. 95 – New England Patriots|
|Born:||May 9, 1994|
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||250 lb (113 kg)|
(Kinston, North Carolina)
|NFL Draft:||2017 / Round: 3 / Pick: 83|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
Born in Augusta, Maine, Rivers and his family moved to North Carolina when he was five months old. Rivers later attended Kinston High School in Kinston. After high school, he attended Fork Union Military Academy for a year.
Rivers played at Youngstown State from 2013 to 2016. During his career he had a school record 41 career sacks, including 14 as a senior. He accumulated 56.5 tackles for loss, 47 QB hurries and 119 solo tackles in his college career at Youngstown State. As a Senior, Rivers lead one of the top statistically rated defenses in the FCS to the National Championship where they would lose to James Madison University 24-14. Rivers was a three time 1st Team All-Missouri Valley Football Conference performer as well as a two time FCS All-American. Rivers finished his career #5 All-Time in FCS history in career sacks.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 4 in
|32 3⁄4 in
|9 3⁄8 in
|4.61 s||4.40 s||6.94 s||35 in
|10 ft 3 in
|All values from NFL Combine|
Rivers was drafted by the New England Patriots in the third round, 83rd overall, in the 2017 NFL Draft. During training camp, Rivers suffered a torn ACL and was ruled out for the season. He was officially placed on injured reserve on September 2, 2017.Rivers made his NFL debut in Week 3 of the 2018 season, against the Detroit Lions. In week 17 he recorded his first career sack when he took down Sam Darnold. Rivers helped the Patriots reach Super Bowl LIII, although he was inactive, and the team defeated the Los Angeles Rams 13-3.
- Cox, Zack (April 28, 2017). "Patriots Pick Defensive End Derek Rivers With 83rd Selection In 2017 NFL Draft". NESN. Retrieved April 29, 2017.
- "Inside the Patriots Draft Room: Round 3". New England Patriots. April 28, 2017. Retrieved April 29, 2017.
- "Patriots' top draft pick has family ties to Maine". Portland Press Herald. May 1, 2017. Retrieved May 2, 2017.
- YSU sophomore DE fulfills father’s football promise
- Falcons make Youngstown State's Derek Rivers feel at home in workout
- YSU standout Derek Rivers impresses at NFL Combine
- "Combine Player Profiles – Derek Rivers". National Football League. Retrieved December 2, 2017.
- Patra, Kevin. "Patriots finally make a pick with Derek Rivers at No. 83". NFL.com. Retrieved April 28, 2017.
- Reiss, Mike (August 18, 2017). "Patriots fear DE Derek Rivers lost for season with torn ACL, sprained LCL". ESPN.com. Retrieved September 2, 2017.
- "Patriots reach 53-man limit". Patriots.com. September 2, 2017.