|Born||7 November 1923|
Brighton, Sussex, England
|Died||27 March 1984 (aged 60)|
Wimbledon, London, England
|Known for||Carry On films|
He was a regular in the Carry On film players, appearing in six of the films in the 1960s and 1970s. He appeared in The Tomb of Ligeia (1964), the last film in Roger Corman's Edgar Allan Poe series. He also took roles in several BBC adaptations of Charles Dickens novels. His last role was in the 1984 version of A Christmas Carol.
Other roles included parts in television series of the period such as Rising Damp, Bless Me, Father, The Professionals, The Sweeney, Sherlock Holmes, The New Avengers, Danger Man, Jason King, Up Pompeii!, Wild, Wild Women, Coronation Street, and Z-Cars. He also appeared as the Emperor Nero, a comic turn in the early Doctor Who story entitled The Romans opposite William Hartnell. Possibly his most prominent role was as the sub-prior in charge of novices in Oh Brother!.
- The Criminal (1960) as The Priest
- No Love for Johnnie (1961) as Frank
- Two Living, One Dead (1961) as Broms
- Never Back Losers (1961) as R.R. Harris
- The Inspector (1962) – Detective Inspector
- Captain Clegg (1962) as Squire Anthony Cobtree
- Master Spy (1963) as Police Inspector (uncredited)
- Bitter Harvest (1963) as Mr. Jones
- The Hi-Jackers (1963) as Jack Carter
- Farewell Performance (1963) as Superintendent Raven
- Smokescreen (1964) as Dexter's Doctor (uncredited)
- This Is My Street (1964) as Fingus
- Ring of Spies (1964) as Chief Supt. Croft
- Master Spy (1964) as Police Inspector (uncredited)
- The Comedy Man (1964) as Merryweather
- The Tomb of Ligeia (1964) as Lord Trevanion
- Doctor Who (1965) as Emperor Nero
- The Little Ones (1965) as Paddy
- Rasputin, the Mad Monk (1966) as Innkeeper
- Press for Time (1966) as Ernest Corcoran (alderman)
- The Forsyte Saga (1967) as Elderson
- Jules Verne's Rocket to the Moon (1967) as Puddleby
- Carry On Doctor (1967) as Sir Edmund Burke
- What's Good for the Goose (1969) as Harrington
- Carry On Camping (1969) as a Farmer
- Crossplot (1969) as Sir Charles Moberley
- Carry On Loving (1970) as The Bishop
- Scrooge (1970) as Charity Gentleman
- Man of Violence (1971) as Sam Bryant
- Say Hello to Yesterday (1971) as Park Keeper
- The Statue (1971) as Sanders
- Carry On Henry (1971) as The Farmer
- Carry On Matron (1972) as Arthur
- Carry On Abroad (1972) as Brother Martin
- To the Devil a Daughter (1976) as Bishop
- Dickens of London (1976) as Stage Manager
- Jabberwocky (1977) as Bishop
- The Wicked Lady (1983) as Lord Kingsclere
- Pope John Paul II (1984) as Bishop Lec
- A Christmas Carol (1984) as Pemberton (final film role)
- "Derek Francis". BFI.
- Carry-On Actors. Books.google.com.
- "' Tomb of Ligeia' Brings Vincent Price to Palace Screen". Nytimes.com. Retrieved 26 October 2018.
- "Derek Francis movies, photos, movie reviews, filmography, and biography". AllMovie.
- "Christmas Carol, A (1984) - Overview". Turner Classic Movies.
- "A Short Biography of Derek Francis". Radiosoundsfamiliar.com.
- "BBC – Doctor Who Classic Episode Guide – The Romans – Details". Bbc.co.uk.
- The London Stage 1950–1959. Books.google.com. p. 452.
- "Overview for Derek Francis". Turner Classic Movies.