Deptford railway station
Deptford is a National Rail station in Deptford in London, England. It is on the North Kent Line, 3 miles 7 chains (5.0 km) down the line from London Bridge, and has staggered platforms on the London Bridge – Greenwich Railway Viaduct, a high brick viaduct on which the line runs at this point, above High Street, Deptford.
|Local authority||London Borough of Lewisham|
|Number of platforms||2|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|8 February 1836||Opening of temporary station|
|24 December 1838||New station building constructed|
|15 March 1915||Closed|
|19 July 1926||Reopened|
|26 April 2012||New station building constructed|
|London transport portal|
It is located in Travelcard zone 2.
Opened in 1836, Deptford station is reputedly the oldest railway station in London. Which came into existence when the London and Greenwich Railway opened its first section between Spa Road, Bermondsey and Deptford on 8 February 1836. The line was extended westwards to the new London Bridge Station on 14 December 1836 and eastwards to Greenwich on 24 December 1838.
Deptford station was closed between 1915 and 1926. The original station building was demolished by the Southern Railway and replaced by a newer building which was itself demolished around 2011.
The replacement building was opened on Thursday 26 April 2012; this rebuild has made the station fully accessible. A second entry/exit is now open as the refurbishment of the old carriage ramp is now complete; this new entrance is located on Platform 1. There are two ticket machines in the station, one located in the ticket hall and the other next to the carriage ramp entrance on Platform 1.
The typical off-peak service from the station is:
- 4tph (trains per hour) to London Cannon Street
- 2tph to Luton via London Bridge, St Pancras International, St Albans City and Luton Airport.
- 2tph to Slade Green, returning to London Cannon Street via Sidcup
- 2tph to Barnehurst, returning to London Cannon Street via Bexleyheath
- 2tph to Rainham via Dartford and Gravesend
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Southwark Park||South Eastern
and Chatham Railway
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations, Patrick Stephens Ltd, Sparkford, ISBN 1-85260-508-1, p. 78.
- "Old Deptford History: Deptford Station". Retrieved 19 June 2011.
- Staines, David (November 2011). "Deptford reborn". Modern Railways. Ian Allan Publishing.