Depository Library Act of 1962
Depository Library Act of 1962 is a federal statute revising the depository library laws passed in the United States from 1895 to 1939. The Act of Congress mandated the availability of U.S. government publications through the Superintendent of Documents for public information. The statute established requirements for two depository libraries as allocated by U.S. Congressional representatives per their respective congressional districts. The U.S. federal law provided provisions appointing land-grant colleges and the United States service academies as depository libraries for U.S. government publications. The 87th U.S. Congressional legislation authorized regional depository libraries allocating two depository libraries per U.S. state as defined by a United States Senator. The Act repealed Public Law 76-281 designating the United States Coast Guard Academy library as a depository of U.S. government publications while redelegating the New London, Connecticut office of the Superintendent of Documents.
|Long title||An Act to revise the laws relating to depository libraries.|
|Enacted by||the 87th United States Congress|
|Effective||August 9, 1962|
|Statutes at Large||76 Stat. 352|
|Titles amended||44 U.S.C.: Public Printing and Documents|
|U.S.C. sections created||44 U.S.C. ch. 19 § 1901 et seq.|
Revised Depository Library LawsEdit
Chronological timeline of depository library laws revised by the Depository Library Act of 1962.
|Date of Enactment||Public Law Number||U.S. Statute Citation||U.S. Presidential Administration|
|January 12, 1895||P.L. 53-23||28 Stat. 601||Grover Cleveland|
|March 1, 1907||P.L. 59-153||34 Stat. 1012||Theodore Roosevelt|
|June 20, 1936||P.L. 74-724||49 Stat. 1545||Franklin D. Roosevelt|
|June 25, 1938||P.L. 75-750||52 Stat. 1206||Franklin D. Roosevelt|
|August 5, 1939||P.L. 76-281||53 Stat. 1209||Franklin D. Roosevelt|
- "Legislative Summary: Education - Depository Libraries". John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum.
- Schwarzkopf, LeRoy C. (1972). Regional libraries and the Depository Library Act of 1962. University of Maryland. p. 108. OCLC 7699631.
- Gecas, Judith Gaskell (1975). The Depository Library Act of 1962: A Legislative History and Survey of Implementation. University of Chicago. p. 116. OCLC 556974232.
- "Applicability of Depository Library Act to National Technical Information Service Publications" (PDF). [U.S. GAO:Office of Public Affairs]. U.S. Government Accountability Office. June 27, 1975.
- Chapman, Bert (July 8, 1999). "The 1907 Admission of Land-Grant University Depository Libraries: A 90-Year Perspective". Purdue University Libraries.
- "Federal Depository Library Program". U.S. Government Printing Office.