Department of Tourism (Philippines)
The Department of Tourism (Filipino: Kagawaran ng Turismo, DOT) is the executive department of the Philippine government responsible for the regulation of the Philippine tourism industry and the promotion of the Philippines as a tourist destination.
|Kagawaran ng Turismo|
|Formed||May 11, 1973|
|Headquarters||The New DOT Building, |
351 Sen. Gil J. Puyat Avenue, Bel-Air, Makati
|Annual budget||₱2.5 billion (2015)|
Started as a private initiative to promote the Philippines as a major travel destination, the Philippine Tourist & Travel Association was organized in 1950. In 1956, the Board of Travel and Tourist Industry was created by Congress As stipulated in the Integrated Reorganization Plan in 1972 sanctioned as a law under Presidential Decree No. 2, as amended, the Department of Trade and Tourism was established, reorganizing the then Department of Commerce and Industry. A Philippine Tourism Commission was created under the unified Trade and Tourism Department to oversee the growth of the tourism industry as a source of economic benefit for the country.
In 1973, President Ferdinand Marcos created a new cabinet-level Department of Tourism (DOT) by splitting the Department of Trade and Tourism into two separate departments. Included in the new Department of Tourism, the agency Philippine Tourism Authority (PTA) and the Philippine Convention Bureau (PCB) were created. The Department of Tourism was then renamed Ministry of Tourism as a result of the shift in the form of government pursuant to the enforcement of the 1973 Constitution.
In 1986, under Executive Order Nos. 120 and 120-A signed by President Corazon Aquino, the Department of Tourism was reorganized and, correspondingly, the Convention Bureau was renamed the Philippine Convention and Visitors Corporation, and the Intramuros Administration was attached, previously being under the defunct Ministry of Human Settlements. In 1998, the Department of Tourism assumed a prominent role in culmination of centennial celebration of the country's independence from the Spanish Empire in 1898.
In 2003, the Department of Tourism initiated one of its most successful tourism promotion project, WOW Philippines', under Secretary (now Senator) Richard J. Gordon.
The latest improvements in the tourism industry in the country came about with the passage of Republic Act No. 9593 or the "Tourism Act of 2009."
The Department is headed by the Secretary of Tourism (Philippines), with the following four undersecretaries and assistant secretaries.
- Undersecretary for Administration and Special Concerns
- Undersecretary for Public Affairs, Communications & Special Projects
- Undersecretary for Tourism Development Planning
- Undersecretary for Tourism Promotions
- Undersecretary for Tourism Regulation Coordination & Resource Generations
- Assistant Secretary for Administration and Special Concerns
- Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs, Communications and Special Projects
- Assistant Secretary for Tourism Development Planning
- Assistant Secretary for Tourism Regulation Coordination & Resource Generation for Luzon and Visayas
- Assistant Secretary for Tourism Regulation Coordination & Resource Generation for Metro Manila Cluster
Bureaus and officesEdit
- Bureau of Domestic Tourism Promotions and Information
- Bureau of International Tourism Promotions
- Office of Tourism Information.
- Office of Tourism Standards.
- Office of Tourism Development Planning
- Office of Product Development
- Office of Tourism Coordination
This section needs additional citations for verification. (April 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Visit Islands Philippines 1994
- Miss Universe 1994
- Florikultura '98 – international horticulture exhibition
- Expo Pilipino 1998 – Philippine Centennial International Exposition
- 1998 Philippine Centennial Celebrations
- World Exposition 2002 Manila (cancelled due to financial problems of the government)
- Visit Philippines 2003
- WOW (World Of Wonders) Philippines
- "Pilipinas Kay Ganda" slogan and campaign 2010
- It's More Fun in the Philippines!
- Visit the Philippines Year 2015
- Visit the Philippines Again 2016
- Miss Universe 2016 (65th Miss Universe)
- Boracay Rehabilitation 2018
- 2019 Southeast Asian Games
List of the Secretaries of the Department of TourismEdit
- "GAA 2015" (PDF). DBM. Retrieved January 22, 2015.
- Vanzi, Sol Jose (June 8, 1998). "RP Wins Bid To Host World EXPO 2002". Philippine Headline News Online. Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "PNoy launches 'Pilipinas Kay Ganda' as new tourism campaign slogan". Press release. Philippine Information Agency. November 14, 2010.
- "New PH tourism slogan "Pilipinas Kay Ganda" fails to impress tourism industry, netizens".
- News, By Chiara Zambrano, ABS-CBN. "'Pilipinas Kay Ganda' officially dead".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Department of Tourism (Philippines).|