Department of Mines and Petroleum
The Department of Mines and Petroleum was a department of the Government of Western Australia until it was superseded by the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety on 1 July 2017. The department was formed on 1 January 2009, out of the former Department of Industry and Resources and Department of Consumer and Employment Protection, which were split into three new departments, the Department of Mines and Petroleum, the Department of State Development and the Department of Commerce.
|Formed||1 January 2009|
|Dissolved||1 July 2017|
|Jurisdiction||Government of Western Australia|
Its focus is the resources sector, maintaining a mining and petroleum regulatory role and incorporating the resources safety responsibilities from the former Department of Consumer and Employment Protection. It also oversees the Geological Survey of Western Australia.
The department operates the MINEDEX website, a continuously updated database containing information on mines, mineral deposits and prospects in Western Australia.
The original Department of Mines was created on 1 January 1894 and ceased in that name on 1 July 1992 when it became the Department of Minerals and Energy.
During the 1894 - 1992 era, the department was originally divided into branches:
- Accounts Correspondence
- Government Geologist (1896 was known as the Geological Survey Branch).
Before the change of 1992, the branches had become divisions:
On 1 July 2001 Department of Minerals and Energy and the Department of Resources Development were merged to form the Department of Mineral and Petroleum Resources.
Further to a review in 2003 the Department was merged with the Department of Industry and Technology to form the Department of Industry and Resources on 3 February 2003.
This department was divided into business groups:
- Mineral and Petroleum Resources
- Business and Trade Services
- Investment Services
The Department was changed again on 1 January 2009 and three new departments were formed:
- Department of Mines and Petroleum
- Department of State Development
- Department of Commerce (which included the Science and Innovation functions of the Department of Industry and Resources)
- Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety Government of Western Australia, accessed: 30 May 2018
- About DMIRS Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety, accessed: 30 May 2018
- Department of Industry and Resources Restructure Archived 11 May 2008 at the Wayback Machine accessed: 27 October 2010
- MINEDEX website Archived 11 September 2008 at the Wayback Machine accessed: 11 November 2010
- "AU WA A16 - Department of Mines". State Records Office of WA. Retrieved 4 June 2018.
- Johns, R. K. (Robert Keith); Johns, R. K. (Robert Keith), (ed.); Australia. Bureau of Mineral Resources, Geology and Geophysics (1976), History and role of government geological surveys in Australia, Govt. Printer, ISBN 978-0-7243-2497-2CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link) CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- Western Australia. Government Chemical Laboratories (1932), [Collection of material relating to the Government Chemical Laboratories, Western Australia], retrieved 5 December 2015
- "AU WA A1211 - Department of Minerals and Petroleum Resources". State Records Office of WA. Retrieved 4 June 2018.
- "AU WA A1210 - Department of Industry and Resources". State Records Office of WA.