Department of Defence (Australia)
The Australian Department of Defence is a department of the Government of Australia charged with the responsibility to defend Australia and its national interests. The department forms part of the Australian Defence Organisation (ADO) along with the Australian Defence Force (ADF). The department is accountable to the Commonwealth Parliament, on behalf of the Australian people, for the efficiency and effectiveness with which it carries out the Government's defence policy.
|Formed||14 April 1942|
|Jurisdiction||Commonwealth of Australia|
|Annual budget||A$32.4 billion (2016/2017)|
|Parent Department||Australian Defence Organisation (ADO)|
The Defence Committee is the primary decision-making committee in the Department of Defence, supported by 6 subordinate committees, groups and boards. The Defence Committee is focused on major capability development and resource management for the Australian Defence Organisation and shared accountability of the Secretary and the Chief of the Defence Force.
Membership of the Defence Committee is as follows:
- Secretary of the Department of Defence
- Chief of the Defence Force
- Vice Chief of the Defence Force Group
- Associate Secretary
- Chief of Navy
- Chief of Army
- Chief of Air Force
- Chief of Joint Operations
- Deputy Secretary for Capability Acquisition and Sustainment
- Deputy Secretary for Strategic Policy and Intelligence
- Chief Defence Scientist
- Chief of Joint Capabilities
- Chief Information Officer
- Chief Finance Officer
- Deputy Secretary for People
- Deputy Secretary for Estate and Infrastructure
The Department of Defence consists of ten major organisational groups:
- Associate Secretary Group – provides administrative, legal and governance services including audit and fraud control, security and vetting, the Judge Advocate General, and communications and ministerial support.
- Chief Information Officer Group – leads the integrated design, cost effective delivery, and sustained operation of Defence information
- Chief Finance Officer Group – to drive the financial and management improvement programs for Defence
- Capability Acquisition and Sustainment Group (CASG) – Australia's largest project management organisation and its mission is to acquire and sustain equipment for the Australian Defence Force, created through the amalgamation of the Capability Development Group and Defence Materiel Organisation in 2015.
- Defence People Group – human resource outcomes across the Defence employment cycle from strategy and policy development, through to implementation and service delivery
- Defence Estate and Infrastructure Group – consolidated service delivery organisation for Defence that enables Defence capability by working in partnership to deliver integrated services through a highly capable workforce
- Defence Science and Technology Group – lead agency charged with applying science and technology to protect and defend Australia and its national interests
The Chief of the Defence Force (CDF) and the Secretary of the Department of Defence (SECDEF) jointly manage the Australian Defence Organisation (ADO) under a diarchy in which both report directly to the Minister for Defence and the Assistant Minister for Defence. The ADO diarchy is a governance structure unique in the Australian Public Service.
Secretary of DefenceEdit
The Secretary of the Department of Defence (SECDEF) is a senior public service officer and historically the appointees have not come from military service.
|Term in office||Notes||Ref(s)|
|Collins, Captain Sir MuirheadCaptain Sir Muirhead Collins KCMG, RN||1901||1910||9 years, 0 days||Pethebridge was acting Secretary 1906–1910|
|Pethebridge, Brigadier General Sir SamuelBrigadier General Sir Samuel Pethebridge KCMG||1910||1918||8 years, 0 days||Trumble was acting Secretary 1914–1918|
|Trumble, ThomasThomas Trumble CMG||1918||1927||9 years, 0 days|
|Shepherd, MalcolmMalcolm Shepherd CMG||1927||1937||10 years, 0 days|
|Shedden, Sir FrederickSir Frederick Shedden KCMG, OBE||1937||1956||19 years, 301 days|
|Hicks, Sir EdwinSir Edwin Hicks CBE||28 October 1956||5 January 1968||11 years, 69 days|||
|Bland, Sir HenrySir Henry Bland||1 May 1968||1970||1 year, 361 days|||
|Tange, Sir ArthurSir Arthur Tange AC, CBE||March 1970||August 1979||9 years, 92 days|||
|Pritchett, BillBill Pritchett||August 1979||6 February 1984||4 years, 189 days|||
|Cole, Sir WilliamSir William Cole||6 February 1984||15 October 1986||2 years, 251 days|||
|Woods, AlanAlan Woods AC||December 1986||31 July 1988||1 year, 243 days|||
|Ayers, TonyTony Ayers AC||1 August 1988||February 1998||9 years, 184 days|||
|Barratt, PaulPaul Barratt AO||February 1998||31 August 1999||1 year, 211 days||Appointment terminated by the Governor-General on the recommendation of Prime Minister Howard. Barratt fought the decision in the Federal Court, losing on appeal.|||
|Hawke, Dr AllanDr Allan Hawke AC||21 October 1999||20 October 2002||2 years, 364 days|||
|Smith, RicRic Smith AO, PSM||11 November 2002||3 December 2006||4 years, 22 days|||
|Warner, NickNick Warner AO, PSM||4 December 2006||13 August 2009||2 years, 252 days|||
|Watt, Dr IanDr Ian Watt AO||13 August 2009||5 September 2011||2 years, 23 days|||
|Lewis, Major General DuncanMajor General Duncan Lewis AO, DSC, CSC||5 September 2011||18 October 2012||1 year, 43 days|||
|Richardson, DennisDennis Richardson AO||18 October 2012||12 May 2017||4 years, 206 days|||
|Moriarty, GregGreg Moriarty||4 September 2017||72 days|||
- Australian Defence Organisation
- Current senior Australian Defence Organisation personnel
- Minister for Defence
- Minister for Defence Science and Personnel
- Minister for Veterans' Affairs
- Minister for Defence Industry
- List of Australian Commonwealth Government entities
- Department of the Army (Australia)
- Department of the Navy (Australia)
- Department of Air (Australia)
- United States Department of Defense
- United Kingdom Ministry of Defence
- Canadian Department of National Defence
- New Zealand Ministry of Defence
- CA 46: Department of Defence [III], Central Office, National Archives of Australia, retrieved 8 February 2014
- Thomson, Mark. "The no-surprises Defence budget". ASPI Strategist. Australian Strategic Policy Institute. Retrieved 6 May 2016.
- "Defence Leaders: Senior Managers". Department of Defence. Commonwealth of Australia. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- "Who we are and what we do". Australian Government Department of Defence. Retrieved 7 August 2017.
- "Groups: About us". Department of Defence. Australian Government. Retrieved 6 January 2016.
- Peever, David (April 2015). "First Principles Review: Creating One Defence" (PDF). Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "Fact Sheet: Smaller Government: Defence Materiel Organisation: Reintegration into the Department of Defence" (MS Word). Department of Defence, Australian Government. May 2015.
- "Stop Press! Name Change" (Press release). 31 July 2015. Archived from the original on 19 September 2015. Retrieved 9 December 2015.
As part of the First Principles Review implementation, from 1 July 2015 the Defence Science and Technology Organisation (DSTO) has been renamed as the Defence Science and Technology Group.
- Intelligence and Security Group, Australian Government Directory
- Farquharson, John (2007). "Hicks, Sir Edwin William (Ted) (1910–1984)". Australian Dictionary of Biography. National Centre of Biography, Australian National University. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- Farquharson, John. "Bland, Sir Henry (Harry) (1909–1997)". Obituaries Australia. National Centre of Biography, Australian National University. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- James, Lieutenant Colonel Neil (May 2000). "Reform of the Defence Management Paradigm : A Fresh View" (PDF). Working Paper Series. Strategic and Defence Studies Centre: 40. ISBN 0-7317-0441-X. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- NLA Catalogue
- Jennings, Peter; Channer, Hayley (October 2012). "Look Behind You, Mr Richardson". The Strategist. Australian Strategic Policy Institute. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- Hawke, Bob (2 June 1988). "For the media". Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet (Press release). Commonwealth of Australia. Archived from the original on 10 November 2013. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- Colvin, Mark; Reynolds, Fiona (31 August 1999). "Barratt sacked" (transcript). PM. Australia. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- Colvin, Mark; Reynolds, Fiona (10 March 2000). "Barrett loses appeal against dismissal" (transcript). PM. Australia. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- Howard, John (21 October 1999). "New Secretary to the Department of Defence". Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet (Press release). Commonwealth of Australia. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- Farnsworth, Malcolm (25 September 2002). "Defence Department Head Removed By Government". australianpolitics.com. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- Howard, John (2 November 2006). "Secretary – Department of Defence". Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet (Press release). Commonwealth of Australia. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- Rudd, Kevin (13 August 2009). "Departmental secretaries and statutory office-holders, Canberra". Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet (Press release). Commonwealth of Australia. Archived from the original on 10 November 2013. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- Keane, Bernard (30 March 2009). "Defence is simply too big for Nick Warner". Crikey. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- Gillard, Julia (4 August 2011). "Departmental Secretaries". Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet (Press release). Commonwealth of Australia. Archived from the original on 1 November 2013. Retrieved 29 October 2013.
- Gillard, Julia (17 September 2012). "Diplomatic Appointment and Appointment of Secretaries of the Department of Defence and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade". Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet (Press release). Commonwealth of Australia. Archived from the original on 20 December 2014. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- Turnbull, Malcolm (28 July 2017). "Secretary of the Department of Defence". Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet (Press release). Commonwealth of Australia. Retrieved 28 July 2017.
- Department of Defence website
- "Defence Organisational Structure Chart" (PDF). Department of Defence. Commonwealth of Australia. 21 September 2015.
- "Defence Senior Leaders". Department of Defence. 2016.
- "Dennis Richardson AO". Biography of the Secretary of the Department of Defence. Department of Defence. 2016.