Denver and Rio Grande Depot (Montrose, Colorado)
The Denver and Rio Grande Depot, also known as the Montrose Railroad Depot, is a historic railway station in Montrose, Colorado. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, has housed the Montrose County Historical Museum since the 1970s.
Denver and Rio Grande Depot
Building in 2011
|Location||20 N. Rio Grande Ave., Montrose, Colorado|
|Area||0.5 acres (0.20 ha)|
|Built||between 1908 and 1912|
|Architectural style||Mission/Spanish Revival|
|NRHP reference #||82002308|
|Added to NRHP||June 3, 1982|
The Denver and Rio Grande Railway first reached Montrose in 1882, and by 1885, it was described as the "most important station west of Gunnison City". The current depot was built sometime between 1908 and 1912, replacing a previous facility. The station served both passengers and freight. The railway branched south out of Montrose to Ouray and the Rio Grande Southern Railroad, and it branched east to Gunnison and Crested Butte.
The depot was nominated for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places for its architectural and transportation significance; it was listed on June 3, 1982. Beginning circa 1980, the depot has housed the Montrose County Historical Museum. Part of the building has also been rented to the Continental Trailways bus system.
Architecture and settingEdit
The depot is located in downtown Montrose, and is described as an "architectural bright spot". It has a Mission Revival design, characterized by the arcades, terra cotta tile roof, and curvilinear parapets. It is a one-story structure, approximately rectangular, with main facades along the east (street side) and west (track side). Two chimneys protrude from the roof. The lower 48 inches (1.2 m) of the exterior is concrete with a wainscot appearance, above which is rough concrete stucco.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. March 13, 2009.
- Shores 1982, p. 1.
- Shores 1982, p. 3.
- "Listed Properties: Montrose County". History Colorado. Retrieved December 2, 2013.
- "National Register of Historic Places; Annual Listing of Historic Properties" (PDF). Federal Register. 48 (41): 8630. 1983.
- Shores 1982, pp. 2–3.
- "Montrose County Historical Museum". Montrose County Historical Society. Retrieved December 2, 2013.
- Shores 1982, p. 2.
- Shores, Roger (June 3, 1982). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory/Nomination: Denver and Rio Grande Depot / Montrose Railroad Depot". National Park Service. and accompanying photo
- Media related to Denver and Rio Grande Depot (Montrose, Colorado) at Wikimedia Commons