Dennis the Menace (1986 TV series)
|Dennis the Menace|
Title card used from 1986
|Based on||Dennis the Menace, by Hank Ketcham|
|Directed by||Michael Maliani|
|Theme music composer||Shuki Levy|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||78 (234 segments)|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Original release||September 22, 1986 –|
March 26, 1988
|Followed by||All-New Dennis the Menace (1993)|
The series was originally aired in syndication in the United States, distributed by the Program Exchange. The second season aired on Saturday mornings on CBS. Each half-hour series consists of three six- or seven-minute episodes. The show was sponsored by General Mills, who are also credited as the show's copyright owner.
- Dennis Mitchell, a well-meaning but trouble-prone boy. Voiced by Brennan Thicke.
- Henry Mitchell, father to Dennis and Alice's husband. Voiced by Phil Hartman in Season 1 and by Maurice LaMarche in Season 2.
- Alice Mitchell, Henry Mitchell's wife and Dennis's mother. Voiced by Marilyn Lightstone in Season 2, and by Louise Vallance in Season 1.
- Mr. George Wilson, the Mitchells' neighbor, often exasperated with Dennis' antics. Voiced by Phil Hartman in Season 1 and Maurice LaMarche in Season 2.
- Mrs. Martha Wilson, George Wilson's wife a loving, elderly type who enjoys Dennis' company. Voiced by Marilyn Lightstone or Louise Vallance.
- Joey McDonald, Dennis's best friend. Voiced by Jeannie Elias.
- Tommy Anderson, Dennis's other best friend. Also voiced by Jeannie Elias.
- Margaret Wade, Dennis's friend and occasional nemesis, a goody-good girl in the neighborhood. Also voiced by Jeannie Elias.
- Gina Gillotti, Dennis's tomboyish, yet warm and feminine friend. Voiced by Donna Christie and later Sharon Noble.
- Peebee Kappa, Dennis' friend and resident genius and technology freak. His name is a play on Phi Beta Kappa. Voiced by Marilyn Lightstone.
- Jay Weldon, Dennis's "too-tall" black friend who loves to play basketball. Voiced by Riva Spier
- Ruff, the Mitchells' family dog. Voiced by Phil Hartman in Season 1 and Maurice LaMarche in Season 2.
- Other Kids, voiced by Matthew Godfrey and Kimberly "Kim" Duncan in Season 2.
- Jeannie Elias - Joey McDonald, Tommy Anderson, Margaret Wade
- Brian George
- Phil Hartman - Henry Mitchell, Mr. George Wilson, Ruff
- Marilyn Lightstone - PeeBee Kappa
- Sharon Noble
- Riva Spier - Jay Weldon
- Louise Valance - Alice Mitchell, Mrs. Martha Wilson
- Brennan Thicke - Dennis Mitchell
- Donna Christie - Gina Gillotti
- Jonathan Beltzner
- Michael Beltzner
- Jeannie Elias - Joey McDonald, Tommy Anderson, Margaret Wade
- Maurice LaMarche - Henry Mitchell, Mr. George Wilson, Ruff
- Marilyn Lightstone - Alice Mitchell, Mrs. Martha Wilson, PeeBee Kappa
- Sharon Noble - Gina Gillotti
- Brennan Thicke - Dennis Mitchell
- Robert Bockstael
- Heather Edson
- Donna Farron
- Mathew Godfrey - Additional Voices
- Abby Hagyard
- Rick Jones
- John Koensgen
- Bill Luxton
- Les Lye
- Mike O'Reilly
- Eleanor Peat
- Pam Pilkington
- Tyley Ross
- John Tarzwell
- Aline Van Dyke
- Don Westwood
- Kimberly "Kim" Duncan - Additional Voices
78 episodes were produced:
Season 1 (1986–1987)
- So Long, Old Paint/Trembly Assembly/Private I
- A Visitor from Outer Space/Train That Boy/Genie Madness
- Cheer Up/Ghostblusters/The Life You Save
- Shark Treatment/Jungle Bungle/Racetrack Menace
- All the President's Menace/The Love Rowboat/Wilson the Menace
- Fishing for Trouble/Future Fortune/Time Bomb
- Spa Blahs/Whale of a Tale/Disaster on the Green
- Here, Kitty!/Circus Berserkus/The Monster of Mudville Flats
- The Price of Stardom/Space Menace/The Magic Flute
- Dennis' Yard Sale/The Abominable Snow Menace/It Came from the Planet Dennis
- Snowman Madness/The Invisible Kid/Home Destruction
- Chitty Chitty Moon Walk/Wet 'N Wild/Dennis at the Movies
- The Supermarket/The Big Candied Apple/The Defective Detector
- Henry the Menace/Come Fly with Me/Camping Out
- Up Up and Away (From Here)/Going Ape/Dennis the Pirate
- It's a Ruff Life/Professor Myron Mentalapse/Dennis Race 2000
- A Better Mousetrap/The Wizzer of Odd/Canine Car Wash
- Ride'Em Cowboy/Tenting Tonight/A Hair Raising Tale
- Medieval Evil/Beaver-Mania/Say Uncle
- Hopping Mad/Mayan Mayhem/The Big Power Trip
- Strong Medicine/Gold Strike/Lights! Camera! Mud!
- Invasion of the Blob/Wild West Show-Down/The Hen Party
- Up Up and Oh Boy!/The Company Picnic/Aw Nuts!
- Clip-Joint Capers/Tanks for the Memory/Second Honeymoon
- A Couple of Coo-Coos/The Cloneheads/Nothing But the Tooth
- Mummy's Little Boy/Horsing Around/Dennis Plasters Pamplona
- Dennis Predicts/Dennis & the Kangaroo Cavalry/Meatball Mess
- My Fair Dennis/A Good Knight's Work/Life in the Fast Lane
- A Nightmare at the Opera/A Royal Pain/Having a Marbleous Time
- Marky the Menace/Dennis the Genius/A Step Ahead
- The Boss Gets Scalped/Mr. Dennistein/Lean Green Jumping Machine
- Laundry Business/Journey to the Center of Uncle Charlie's Farm/Dennis Springs Into Action
- Ruff's Hat Trick/A Moving Experience/Lemon-Aid
- Sounds in the Night/Dennis Does Hollywood/Ruff to the Rescue
- The Bicycle Thief/Menace of the Mine Shaft/Margaret's Birthday Party
- So Sorry!/Shock Therapy/Yard Wars
- Ruff's Masterpiece/Going to the Dogs/Big Baby
- Building a Better Dog House/Dennis and the Dragon/Hic!
- Strike Up the Band/Queen of Chinatown/Tale of a Tux
- Give a Little Whistle/Charmed I'm Sure/After Hours
- Baseball's Best Ballplayer/Mr. Wilson's Diet/The Backyard Band
- Double Dennis/Timber Wolves/Help Not Wanted
- Million Dollar Dennis/3-D and Me/Barber Shop Disharmony
- Bowling for Dennis/Dennis Conquers the Navy/The Longest Half-Yard
- Vampire Scare/Give Me Liberty or Give Me Dennis/Wilson for Mayor
- Dangerous Detour/The Prodigy/The Chimp
- High Steel/Bicycle Mania/Little Dogs Lost
- Dennis Destroys Dallas/Black & Blue Hawaii/Oil's Well That Ends Well
- Door to Door Bore/Dennis in Venice/Young Sherlock Dennis
- Surf's Up/Yo Ho Ho/The Karate Kiddie
- Dennis and the Deep/K-9 Kollege/Housepests
- Animalympics/No Bones About It/Dennis Takes the Cake
- Quiet Riot/The Magic Pen/A Feeling for Stealing
- Househusband Henry/Wheeling & Double-Dealing/Stop That Car!
- Lights, Camera, Auction!/Boy Ahoy/Faulty Alarm
- Hail to the Chief/Dennis in Microchipland/Handy Dandy Dennis
- Dennis the Businessman/Soccer it to Me, Dennis/Camp Over Here-Over There
- Hullaballoo at the Harmony Homes/Phantom of the Wax Museum/Dennis and the Gypsy Woman
- Attack of the Giant Tomatoes/The Dinosaur Doozy/Funhouse Grouch
- Dennis Rocks Out/Deserted with Dennis/Fashionable Menace
- Back to the Drawing Board/Part-Time Helper/G.I. George
- Wanted: Scarface Wilson/Ruff Come Home/10-4 Dennis
- Heroes Unwelcome/The Martians are Coming/Ancient Olympics
- Pool Haul/Fool for Gold/Nothin' to Be Afraid Of
- Yankee Doodle Dennis/Dennis the Barnstormer/Trial and Error
Season 2 (1988)
- Frankenstymied/Space Race/The Incredible Shrinking Dennis
- The Great Pie Swap/Climb of the Century/Little Beauty Shop of Horrors
- Crummy Mummy/Swiss Family Mitchell/Pie in the Eye
- It's Magic Time/Dennis in Wonderland/Water on the Brain
- Tunnel Vision/Super Duper Dennis/Ice Show Show-Off
- Snow Wars/The Moroccan Pigeon/Dennis of the Jungle
- Young at Heart/Thor-Sicle/A Word from Our Sponsor
- A Froggy Day/Loch Ness Mess/Box Office Smash
- Menaced Marriage/Dennis of the Yukon/Seal of Approval
- Instant Replay/Underwater Wonderland/Safe at Home
- A Fox Tale/Gorilla Warfare/Shared Interest
- Kooked Goose/Pell Mell Hotel/The Old Ball Game
- The Wright Stuff/Hassle in the Castle/Wilson's Night Out
On June 2, 1993, CBS/FOX Video released seven VHS compilations in the United States:
Dennis' Great Adventure – contains the episodes All the President's Menace, The Abominable Snow Menace, Dennis in Venice and The Big Candied Apple.
Animal Antics – contains the episodes Lean, Green Jumping Machine, Shark Treatment, Jungle Bungle and Dinosaur Doozy.
Boys Will Be Boys – contains the episodes Disaster on the Green, Baseball's Best Ballplayer, Soccer it to Me, Dennis and Racetrack Menace.
Spies, Robbers and Ghosts – contains the episodes Ghost Blusters, The Monster of Mudville Flats, Young Sherlock Dennis and The Defective Detector.
Movie Exclusive - The Mitchell's Move (1987) - Dennis' father Henry gets promoted to a new job in his business, only his job is in Alaska, and Dennis and his family have to move in one week. Features the episodes The Boss Gets Scalped, The Big Candied Apple, Going to the Dogs, Vampire Scare, A Royal Pain, Trembly Assembly, and Shock Therapy.
Dennis the Menace: Memory Mayhem (1987)
Dennis the Menace: Dennis the Movie Star (1988)
On March 18, 2008, Fox Home Entertainment released a select 7-episode DVD entitled Dennis the Menace: Trouble, Trouble Everywhere in Region 1. This compilation includes the episodes Dennis in Venice, Mayan Mayhem, The Big Candied Apple, A Royal Pain, Dennis and the Kangaroo Cavalry, Dennis Plasters Pamplona and Black and Blue Hawaii.
On March 18, 2014, Mill Creek Entertainment released Dennis the Menace – Volume One on DVD in Region 1. The 3-disc set contains the first 33 episodes of the series. On August 5, 2014, Mill Creek released Dennis the Menace - Lights! Camera! Menace!, which contains the remaining 32 episodes from the first season.
In the UK the third series (1993) was released on a number of DVDs, each containing two classic episodes. These DVDs were also released in a box set and later re-released along with the 2002 special.
On September 6, 2016, Mill Creek released Dennis the Menace- The Complete Series 1&2 on DVD in Region 1 for the very first time. The 9-disc set contains all 78 episodes of the 1987–1989 series, including the final 13 episodes which were previously unreleased.
- Arnold, Mark (June 15, 2017). Pocket Full of Dennis the Menace. ISBN 978-1629331195. Retrieved July 9, 2019.
[...] and later along with Crawleys Animation, rather than DePatie-Freleng
- Perlmutter, David (2018). The Encyclopedia of American Animated Television Shows. Rowman & Littlefield. p. 150. ISBN 978-1538103739.
- Erickson, Hal (2005). Television Cartoon Shows: An Illustrated Encyclopedia, 1949 Through 2003 (2nd ed.). McFarland & Co. pp. 238–240. ISBN 978-1476665993.
- Dennis The Menace Volume One - 33 Episodes (March 18, 2014). "Mill Creek Entertainment: Dennis The Menace - Volume One - 33 Episodes". Millcreekent.com. Archived from the original on January 31, 2014. Retrieved May 30, 2017.
- "Dennis the Menace DVD news: Announcement for Dennis the Menace - Volume 2: Lights! Camera! Menace!". TVShowsOnDVD.com. October 6, 2014. Archived from the original on March 4, 2016. Retrieved May 30, 2017.
- "Dennis the Menace DVD news: Date Change for The Complete Series". TVShowsOnDVD.com. July 25, 2016. Archived from the original on January 22, 2017. Retrieved May 30, 2017.