Dennis Edwin Showalter (February 12, 1942 – December 30, 2019) was a professor emeritus of history at Colorado College. Showalter specialized in German military history. He was president of the American Society for Military History from 1997 to 2001. In addition, Showalter was an advising fellow of the Barsanti Military History Center at the University of North Texas.
Dennis E. Showalter
|Died||December 30, 2019(aged 77)|
|Awards||Paul M. Birdsall Prize (1992)|
Samuel Eliot Morison Prize (2005)
Pritzker Literature Award (2018)
|Alma mater||St. John's University (BA)|
University of Minnesota (MA, PhD)
|Sub-discipline||German military history|
|Notable works||Tannenberg (1991)|
Showalter began teaching at Colorado College in 1969. Showalter also previously taught at the United States Air Force Academy, the United States Military Academy, and the Marine Corps University. He wrote extensively on the wars of Frederick the Great, the German Wars of Unification, World War I, and World War II.
Awards and honorsEdit
- "Manifestation of Reform: The Rearmament of the Prussian Infantry, 1806–13," The Journal of Modern History, Vol. 44, No. 3, September 1972
- Railroads and Rifles: Soldiers, Technology, and the Unification of Germany. Hamden, Connecticut: Archon/Shoe String, 1975. ISBN 0-208-01505-1
- Tannenberg: Clash of Empires, 1914. Hamden, Connecticut: Archon, 1991. ISBN 978-0-208-02252-3. Repr. Washington: Brassey's, 2004. ISBN 978-1-57488-781-5
- The Wars of Frederick the Great. London/New York: Longman, 1996. ISBN 978-0-582-06260-3
- The Wars of German Unification. London: Arnold, 2004. ISBN 978-0-340-73210-6
- Hindenburg: Icon of German Militarism. Military Profiles. Washington: Potomac, 2005. ISBN 978-1-57488-653-5 (with William J. Astore)
- Patton and Rommel: Men Of War in the Twentieth Century. New York: Berkley Caliber, 2005. ISBN 978-0-425-19346-4
- Armor and Blood: The Battle of Kursk: The Turning Point of World War II. Random House, 2013. ISBN 978-1400066773
- "Dennis Showalter Obituary – Colorado Springs, CO". Dignity Memorial.
- email@example.com, Debbie Kelley. "Top military historian Dennis Showalter of Colorado Springs dies in midst of writing his 28th book". Colorado Springs Gazette.
- "Four Faculty Members Promoted, Receive Tenure • Colorado College". www.coloradocollege.edu.
- "Dennis Showalter • History Colorado College". www.coloradocollege.edu.
- Advising Fellows, Military History Center, University of North Texas.
- Dennis Showalter, Potomac Books, Inc.
- "Samuel Eliot Morison Prize previous winners". Society for Military History. Retrieved December 25, 2017.
- "Dennis Showalter". pritzkermilitary.org. Retrieved June 27, 2018.
- Debbie Kelley (June 26, 2018). "Longtime Colorado Springs professor and military historian wins prestigious lifetime achievement award". Colorado Springs Gazette. Retrieved June 27, 2018.