Denise Georgette Gordy (born November 11, 1949) is an American former film and television actor and singer.
Denise Georgette Gordy
November 11, 1949
Detroit, Michigan, U.S.
(m. 1978; div. 1989)
|Children||2, including Bianca Lawson|
Family and careerEdit
Born Denise Georgette Gordy in Detroit, Michigan, Gordy is the daughter of George and Rosemary Gordy and sister of Patrice and George Gordy, Jr., among others. Motown founder Berry Gordy is her uncle; her aunt is Anna Gordy Gaye. Gordy has appeared in numerous television and theatrical features, beginning in 1972 with Lady Sings the Blues as a dancer in the nightclub chorus. In 1974, Gordy appeared in Black Fist and ending most recently with Toy Soldiers in 1991. Gordy also has contributed vocals to the soundtrack album for the film Black Fist, which was originally titled Bogard, as well as recording the song "Let's Do It Again" for that same movie.
Gordy was married to actor Richard Lawson from December 31, 1978 until 1989. They share one child, actress Bianca Lawson. Gordy is also the biological mother of Marvin Gaye III, who was born November 17, 1966 when Gordy was 17 years old. His father, then–27-year-old singer Marvin Gaye, was married to Gordy's aunt Anna at the time. Shortly after Marvin III's birth, Anna adopted him. 
|Film and television|
|1972||Lady Sings the Blues||Dancer||Film|
|1976||Starsky & Hutch||Hooker||TV series|
|1976||Charlie's Angels||Nikki||TV series|
|1977||Little Ladies of the Night||Foxy Lady||TV film|
|1977||Scott Joplin||The Girl||Film|
|1983||At Ease||Commando Girl||TV series|
|1983||Bare Essence||TV series|
|1984||Fantasy Island||1st Nurse||TV series|
|1984||Getting Physical||Video Lady No. 2||TV film|
|1985||My Man Adam||Willette||Film|
|1985||It's a Living||Customer||TV series|
|1986||Reform School Girls||Claudie||Film|
- Lawson, Bianca. "In light of it being #womenshistorymonth and the month of my born day, I'd like to honor the most important and influential woman in my life, my mother, Denise Georgette Gordy. We both almost died giving birth to me, but she pushed us through! She's THAT powerful. Mom, you are a force to be reckoned with, my guide and my light. So grateful our souls chose each other this incarnation". Instagram.com. Retrieved May 20, 2018.
- Ancestry.com. Nevada, Marriage Index, 1956–2005 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2007.
- "Gordy's Niece Makes Film Debut in 'Blues'". Google Books/JET Magazine. February 3, 1972. Retrieved May 20, 2018.
- Turner 1998, p. 88. sfn error: no target: CITEREFTurner1998 (help)
- Never a Dull Moment: 1971 The Year That Rock Exploded – By David Hepworth
- Marvin Gaye's biological son
- Mercy, Mercy Me: The Art, Loves and Demons of Marvin Gaye – By Michael Eric Dyson
- Brozan, Nadine (April 1, 1995). "Chronicle: New York Times". The New York Times. Retrieved August 29, 2008.
- "Marvin Gaye III's Financial Trouble". Mycolumbusmagic.com. Retrieved February 1, 2013.