Denise DeBartolo York
Marie Denise DeBartolo York (born 1950) is an American billionaire businesswoman, who is the owner and co-chair of the San Francisco 49ers American football team. She is the daughter of late construction magnate Edward J. DeBartolo Sr. and the late Marie Patricia Montani DeBartolo.
Denise DeBartolo York
Marie Denise DeBartolo
1950 (age 68–69)
Youngstown, Ohio, US
|Residence||Canfield, Ohio, US|
|Alma mater||Saint Mary's College|
|Known for||Owner and co-chair, San Francisco 49ers|
|Home town||Youngstown, Ohio, US|
|Net worth||US$2.5 billion (November 2018)|
|Predecessor||Edward J. DeBartolo, Sr.|
|Board member of||San Francisco 49ers|
|Children||4, including Jed York|
|Relatives||Edward J. DeBartolo, Jr. (brother)|
Tiffanie DeBartolo (niece)
After graduation, she joined the family business, The DeBartolo Corporation, and became its executive vice president. In 1994, following her father's death, she became company co-chairman and all 78 DeBartolo malls were sold.
In 1978, Edward DeBartolo purchased the National Hockey League's Pittsburgh Penguins. and established DeBartolo York as owner and president. She presided over the Penguins 1990–91 championship season, and was the third woman to serve as President of a Stanley Cup winning team. In 1991, the year following the championship, she sold the Penguins to assist the DeBartolo Corporation, which was facing challenges in the aftermath of the real estate collapse of 1987. In 2000, DeBartolo York and her husband gained control of the 49ers and other sporting assets from her brother, Edward J. DeBartolo, Jr. She and her husband have since given over control of the 49ers to their son, Jed York.
On May 24, 2018, the York family via 49ers Enterprises bought shares in English soccer club Leeds United to become a minority investor, the 49's Enterprises is the business arm of the NFL side San Francisco 49ers.
She is married to retired American cancer research pathologist John York. The Yorks have four children: sons Jed and Tony, and daughters Jenna and Mara; and live in the Youngstown suburb of Canfield, Ohio.
- Forbes: the World's Billionaires - Denise York October 1, 2015
- "Denise DeBartolo York". San Francisco 49ers. Archived from the original on September 27, 2007. Retrieved May 8, 2007.
- Nancy Gay (September 1, 2000). "The Family Business". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved May 8, 2007.
- "Stanley Cup Notebook". National Hockey League. Archived from the original on May 16, 2008. Retrieved May 8, 2007.
- "San Francisco 49ers Enterprises Become Minority Investor". Leeds United Football Club. May 24, 2018. Retrieved May 24, 2018.
- "Ownership structure - Leeds United". www.leedsunited.com. Retrieved June 4, 2018.
- San Francisco Gate: "The Family Business / 49ers owner talks of her brother, her privacy and her priorities" by Nancy Gay September 1, 2000